Kroger to phase out plastic bags at all stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Kroger to phase out plastic bags at all stores

Post by submariner »

pseudo3d wrote:Last time I checked, Kroger doesn't even have handles on their bags. Funny it's Kroger pulling this and not Albertsons, as Kroger has more stores in rural/conservative areas. Chain-wide is a horrible idea, they're going to get massacred by Publix in the East Coast.
If you’re talking about paper, they do, but I suppose it could be inconsistent. On another note (related to the photo), I used the home delivery service (powered by Instacart) to much success although the groceries actually came from a store roughly 10 miles away [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

pseudo3d wrote: August 24th, 2018, 5:31 pm Last time I checked, Kroger doesn't even have handles on their bags. Funny it's Kroger pulling this and not Albertsons, as Kroger has more stores in rural/conservative areas. Chain-wide is a horrible idea, they're going to get massacred by Publix in the East Coast.
They'll get massacred by Publix because Publix will presumably still give out plastic bags? Get real...
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

mbz321 wrote: August 24th, 2018, 8:19 pm
pseudo3d wrote: August 24th, 2018, 5:31 pm Last time I checked, Kroger doesn't even have handles on their bags. Funny it's Kroger pulling this and not Albertsons, as Kroger has more stores in rural/conservative areas. Chain-wide is a horrible idea, they're going to get massacred by Publix in the East Coast.
They'll get massacred by Publix because Publix will presumably still give out plastic bags? Get real...
If a grocery store is going to have paper bags only that don't even have handles, or have constant security to try to check everyone's purchases, then, yes, I will go somewhere else, and I imagine others will do the same.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

In the old days most grocery store paper bags didn’t have handles
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

jamcool wrote: August 25th, 2018, 8:21 am In the old days most grocery store paper bags didn’t have handles
They also did not accept credit cards. I know that Food 4 Less in California is no longer accepting Visa cards but imagine the hilarity if all Kroger stores stopped accepting credit cards. Also, and this is nitpicking somewhat, but old grocery stores had larger paper bags than today.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: August 25th, 2018, 8:47 pm
jamcool wrote: August 25th, 2018, 8:21 am In the old days most grocery store paper bags didn’t have handles
They also did not accept credit cards. I know that Food 4 Less in California is no longer accepting Visa cards but imagine the hilarity if all Kroger stores stopped accepting credit cards. Also, and this is nitpicking somewhat, but old grocery stores had larger paper bags than today.
QFC still has those larger paper bags (with handles)... all of the Kroger divisions have bags with handles out west.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

submariner wrote: August 24th, 2018, 5:59 pm
pseudo3d wrote:Last time I checked, Kroger doesn't even have handles on their bags. Funny it's Kroger pulling this and not Albertsons, as Kroger has more stores in rural/conservative areas. Chain-wide is a horrible idea, they're going to get massacred by Publix in the East Coast.
If you’re talking about paper, they do, but I suppose it could be inconsistent. On another note (related to the photo), I used the home delivery service (powered by Instacart) to much success although the groceries actually came from a store roughly 10 miles away [emoji16]

Double bagged paper bags? Do they charge the 10 cent fee for each bag or is it a flat fee of some kind included in the service charge? Paper bags would work much better for a delivery service since they stand up and you could count how many can be fit into the delivery truck/van etc. I can see how plastic bags with how they lose form and items move around, could make it rather sloppy to figure out how many deliveries a given vehicle could make.
submariner

Post by submariner »

storewanderer wrote:
submariner wrote: August 24th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Double bagged paper bags? Do they charge the 10 cent fee for each bag or is it a flat fee of some kind included in the service charge? Paper bags would work much better for a delivery service since they stand up and you could count how many can be fit into the delivery truck/van etc. I can see how plastic bags with how they lose form and items move around, could make it rather sloppy to figure out how many deliveries a given vehicle could make.
I’m sure the cost of the bags are baked into the delivery fee, but technically they’re not bound to the bag fee because it’s classified as a delivery service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

submariner wrote: August 25th, 2018, 11:25 pm

I’m sure the cost of the bags are baked into the delivery fee, but technically they’re not bound to the bag fee because it’s classified as a delivery service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is interesting. Safeway.com charges bag fees for home delivery orders... I am not surprised they charge them even if they don't have to.

Back to the Kroger topic, notice they have been silent on if their initiative to end plastic bags will come with a fee. My guess is they will watch what competitors do. They are likely hoping some other big competitor (like Wal Mart) will come out and start to charge a fee for bags. Then they can do the same. But if no other big competitor comes out and starts to fee bags, then maybe they won't fee for paper bags either...

Up in Canada quite a few stores have a 5 cent bag fee for plastic bags that are somewhere in between on size and thickness the super thick CA plastic bags and the normal thin US bags (all of the Loblaw banners, also Wal Mart, also London Drugs) but others like Safeway and the Sobeys-related chains, and various smaller chains, do not have any bag fees and have usual US-style super thin plastic bags.