Kroger sells Turkey Hill brand

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Kroger sells Turkey Hill brand

Post by storewanderer »

Digital coupon unit last week, Turkey Hill this week.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... d-business
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Kroger sells Turkey Hill brand

Post by mjhale »

I've always wondered what the goal was for Kroger owning Turkey Hill. Was it for the convenience stores? Was it to have dairy products for their stores or a dairy product manufacturer? There are no Kroger owned stores in Pennsylvania. The closest are the Harris Teeter store in Baltimore, MD.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mjhale wrote: March 20th, 2019, 12:32 pm I've always wondered what the goal was for Kroger owning Turkey Hill. Was it for the convenience stores? Was it to have dairy products for their stores or a dairy product manufacturer? There are no Kroger owned stores in Pennsylvania. The closest are the Harris Teeter store in Baltimore, MD.
I think Turkey Hill was mostly a compliment to the convenience stores.

But I assume it is profitable given it is a major brand back east.

The western Kroger stores never quite got a full line of Turkey Hill items, just having limited drinks, frozen cakes, and a large but by no means the complete line of ice creams. The Turkey Hill ice creams sold at Smiths are produced in the Smiths Utah plant.

It seemed to me what Turkey Hill accomplished out in Smiths was a "store brand" that appeared to be an actual brand. As such, it typically commanded a price higher than the Kroger Ice Cream, but lower than the PS or Breyer's Ice Creams. From the looks of it, the ice cream actually sells pretty well out at Smiths. The drinks, not so much; frequently on markdown.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:49 pm
mjhale wrote: March 20th, 2019, 12:32 pm I've always wondered what the goal was for Kroger owning Turkey Hill. Was it for the convenience stores? Was it to have dairy products for their stores or a dairy product manufacturer? There are no Kroger owned stores in Pennsylvania. The closest are the Harris Teeter store in Baltimore, MD.

The western Kroger stores never quite got a full line of Turkey Hill items, just having limited drinks, frozen cakes, and a large but by no means the complete line of ice creams. The Turkey Hill ice creams sold at Smiths are produced in the Smiths Utah plant.

It seemed to me what Turkey Hill accomplished out in Smiths was a "store brand" that appeared to be an actual brand. As such, it typically commanded a price higher than the Kroger Ice Cream, but lower than the PS or Breyer's Ice Creams. From the looks of it, the ice cream actually sells pretty well out at Smiths. The drinks, not so much; frequently on markdown.
I actually like Turkey Hill Ice Cream a lot as it appears to be good quality ice cream at a reasonable price.

I agree, the drinks don't seem very popular but the ice cream does well at Fry's.

I thought private label was supposed to be a focus amongst retailers. Almost every other retailer is working to expand private label assortment, selection, and quality. I know Turkey Hill isn't a private label per se but it seems like it would be an asset that Kroger would want to hold on to, not sell.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: March 21st, 2019, 7:04 am
storewanderer wrote: March 20th, 2019, 6:49 pm

I actually like Turkey Hill Ice Cream a lot as it appears to be good quality ice cream at a reasonable price.

I agree, the drinks don't seem very popular but the ice cream does well at Fry's.

I thought private label was supposed to be a focus amongst retailers. Almost every other retailer is working to expand private label assortment, selection, and quality. I know Turkey Hill isn't a private label per se but it seems like it would be an asset that Kroger would want to hold on to, not sell.
Yes, private label is a very key driver of loyalty and differentiation among most retailers. And historically it has been quite a focus area for Kroger.

So things like selling off Turkey Hill, closing that old Columbus Bakery (which also made chips, cookies, and various other snack type goods), etc. are very curious moves.

Well, lately, it seems Kroger does whatever the opposite I think it should do is. And I won't even get started on the number of private label items I really liked that they've discontinued in the past year. But it isn't too hard to find substitutes elsewhere.

And maybe the Turkey Hill products will remain out at the western Kroger stores.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

No reason they couldn't sell off the brand but still carry the items. While it may have been owned by a retailer, we have lots of Turkey Hill items in stores up here in NY where there is no Kroger related store anywhere nearby.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Update. As of December 2019 Albertsons and Safeway stores in the Phoenix area now have Turkey Hill ice cream products prominently displayed on their end caps.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: December 27th, 2019, 7:38 pm Update. As of December 2019 Albertsons and Safeway stores in the Phoenix area now have Turkey Hill ice cream products prominently displayed on their end caps.
Albertsons in NM and also in TX used to have Turkey Hill Tea many years ago. I never saw it at any Safeway operation outside Eastern Division though.

Where is the ice cream being made? Does it have the 49-70 plant code on it? If so, that is Smiths plant.

The tea seemed to be coming from some other plant, I think Dillons plant. I forget what plant code Kansas is.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: December 28th, 2019, 12:14 am
arizonaguy wrote: December 27th, 2019, 7:38 pm Update. As of December 2019 Albertsons and Safeway stores in the Phoenix area now have Turkey Hill ice cream products prominently displayed on their end caps.
Albertsons in NM and also in TX used to have Turkey Hill Tea many years ago. I never saw it at any Safeway operation outside Eastern Division though.

Where is the ice cream being made? Does it have the 49-70 plant code on it? If so, that is Smiths plant.

The tea seemed to be coming from some other plant, I think Dillons plant. I forget what plant code Kansas is.
The Turkey Hill Ice cream at Fry's has the 49-70 plant code on it. The Turkey Hill ice cream at Safeway has the 42-92 plant code on it (which is the Turkey Hill dairy in Conestoga, PA).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: January 9th, 2020, 6:49 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 28th, 2019, 12:14 am

The Turkey Hill Ice cream at Fry's has the 49-70 plant code on it. The Turkey Hill ice cream at Safeway has the 42-92 plant code on it (which is the Turkey Hill dairy in Conestoga, PA).
Is it the same ice cream I wonder, or are the formulas different?

That is a long ways to truck ice cream from PA to AZ. Maybe the same truck that brings the Turkey Hill Ice Cream out west goes to CA and picks up the Thrifty Ice Cream to take to PA for Rite Aid. Whatever keeps the economy going I guess.