Private label products being sold at other chains

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Private label products being sold at other chains

Post by jamcool »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: June 9th, 2020, 11:18 am
veteran+ wrote: May 26th, 2020, 5:39 am First time I saw Topco products was at King Soopers in the late 70s.
I recall that Giant Markets in the Scranton, Pa. area in the mid 70's or so introduced something called the Kingston brand with great fanfare. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that too a Topco brand?
Yes Kingston was a secondary Topco brand-Fry’s in AZ sold it as their private label even a few years after the Kroger/Dillon merger, and so did Smith’s
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

My local Albertsons is carrying Kroger-branded hot chocolate K-Cup pods. Shelf price is $5.99 but they’re on sale for $4.99. Meanwhile, Ralph’s is charging $6.99 shelf, $6.29 sale.

One of the few items cheaper at Albertsons, is a Kroger brand...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: November 7th, 2020, 6:20 pm My local Albertsons is carrying Kroger-branded hot chocolate K-Cup pods. Shelf price is $5.99 but they’re on sale for $4.99. Meanwhile, Ralph’s is charging $6.99 shelf, $6.29 sale.

One of the few items cheaper at Albertsons, is a Kroger brand...
I've found a couple Sprouts items at Safeway lately in frozen no less; one was bagged fruit and the other was some kind of ice cream type product (Moochi or something). I'm not sure if this is an error on the manufacturer side or what. But the best one this week was seeing some O Organics product at Wal Mart right on the shelf, again this was in frozen. I almost took one to see what would happen if I tried to buy it (there was no price label)... but decided not to.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:43 pmI've found a couple Sprouts items at Safeway lately in frozen no less; one was bagged fruit and the other was some kind of ice cream type product (Moochi or something). I'm not sure if this is an error on the manufacturer side or what. But the best one this week was seeing some O Organics product at Wal Mart right on the shelf, again this was in frozen. I almost took one to see what would happen if I tried to buy it (there was no price label)... but decided not to.
Was there a lot of the O Organic product? I've seen instances in the past of a one-off item at Walmart (e.g. a bottle of Meijer-branded vitamins) that I suspect is a derivative of somebody convincing customer service to accept it as a return. My local Kohl's has numerous J Ferrar products right now... definitely a rouge return!
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Bagels wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:21 amWas there a lot of the O Organic product? I've seen instances in the past of a one-off item at Walmart (e.g. a bottle of Meijer-branded vitamins) that I suspect is a derivative of somebody convincing customer service to accept it as a return. My local Kohl's has numerous J Ferrar products right now... definitely a rouge return!
A red return? ;) - But seriously, could it be something ordered online (weren't they doing returns for one of the online companies now?)?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:21 am
Was there a lot of the O Organic product? I've seen instances in the past of a one-off item at Walmart (e.g. a bottle of Meijer-branded vitamins) that I suspect is a derivative of somebody convincing customer service to accept it as a return. My local Kohl's has numerous J Ferrar products right now... definitely a rouge return!
Yes, there were 10-12 packages in perfect condition of whatever it was taking up two rows on the shelf. Did not look to be a rogue return.

Also keep seeing Kroger items in C&S independents in NorCal. They seem to have a lot of mispicks. One independent got a huge box of Kroger 8pk paper towels (there is a giant Kroger logo on every side of the box) and had the box up front in a corner and was using it as a store supply for cleaning, etc. How do you send a huge box with a huge Kroger logo to an IGA? I kind of get the mispicks on most boxes as the logo for the brand isn't usually there...
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Bagels wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:21 am
storewanderer wrote: November 7th, 2020, 7:43 pmI've found a couple Sprouts items at Safeway lately in frozen no less; one was bagged fruit and the other was some kind of ice cream type product (Moochi or something). I'm not sure if this is an error on the manufacturer side or what. But the best one this week was seeing some O Organics product at Wal Mart right on the shelf, again this was in frozen. I almost took one to see what would happen if I tried to buy it (there was no price label)... but decided not to.
Not sure why you're being teased about the 'rogue' return. Isn't J Ferrar a JCPenney house label? Oh customers. :-\
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

SamSpade wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:41 pm
Bagels wrote: November 8th, 2020, 11:21 am Was there a lot of the O Organic product? I've seen instances in the past of a one-off item at Walmart (e.g. a bottle of Meijer-branded vitamins) that I suspect is a derivative of somebody convincing customer service to accept it as a return. My local Kohl's has numerous J Ferrar products right now... definitely a rouge return!
Not sure why you're being teased about the 'rogue' return. Isn't J Ferrar a JCPenney house label? Oh customers. :-\
The winky face ;) was about the fact that the original post says rouge (French for red), rather than rogue (which is what it was supposed to be). Just one of those typing slipups that winds up making it something entirely different than was intended.
cw06
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by cw06 »

I saw some Walgreens branded candy on the markdown rack at Harris Teeter.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

cw06 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 8:49 am I saw some Walgreens branded candy on the markdown rack at Harris Teeter.
Meanwhile, our local CVS had some circus peanuts with a bunch of fruit slices on the label (those, of course belonging to Ahold of Stop & Shop and Giant x 2)...