Aisle Roving Robots in Supermarkets

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Aisle Roving Robots in Supermarkets

Post by klkla »

I could see this as being a useful tool for identifying out of stocks for stores that have day stockers (particularly sale items).
I've never heard of this technology before. Has anyone actually seen it live?

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... ing-robots

By the way that second link says the store is a Stop & Shop. It looks like that interior was heavily influenced by Albertson's.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Aisle Roving Robots in Supermarkets

Post by cjd »

I saw one in a different YouTube video awhile back. I could see this possibly being an annoyance in a busy store with crowded aisles. Instead of people and carts blocking paths, there's a robot in the way too. LOL
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

klkla wrote: August 5th, 2020, 7:38 pm
By the way that second link says the store is a Stop & Shop. It looks like that interior was heavily influenced by Albertson's.
The robots (known as 'Marty') are throughout the Ahold chains. Giant PA (and I'm guessing Martin's) has them in every location. Honestly, it seems pretty pointless. All these do is roam the stores to detect spills and from what I hear, they aren't even that good at doing that. They used to use employees (usually those with special needs) to do aisle sweeps every hour or help up front with bagging, of course those were eliminated for the post part. You can block Marty in by putting for boxes or cans around him and he won't know how to move :P Some robotics company made of like a bandit selling all these useless things to Ahold.

And that was Ahold's last decor package. The one they are using now is a bit more 'cold' and industrial looking. A pic from a recently opened store near me, for example (other pics on there are from their previous location, an ex. Genuardi's/Safeway),
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... CnoECBcQBg
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've noticed in Wal Mart what looks like a robot floor cleaner going around the store. It appears to actually be cleaning the floor. I stood in front of it and it swerved around me.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

storewanderer wrote: August 9th, 2020, 8:53 pm I've noticed in Wal Mart what looks like a robot floor cleaner going around the store. It appears to actually be cleaning the floor. I stood in front of it and it swerved around me.
Kroger has been using these for quite awhile. Not only do they actually do a pretty good job cleaning the floor, they do a better job at going around customers then when they’re manned!