Safeway/Albertsons Phone App

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway/Albertsons Phone App

Post by storewanderer »

Wow- Safeway/Albertsons now requires Android 7.0 or higher version to use its Just for U Mobile App.

Okay, to be fair Android 7.0 final version was released in 2017.

Wal Mart/Kroger/CVS/Rite Aid/Kohls/every other retailer app I've used require Android 5.0 or higher version only. Android 5.0 or higher also supports Google Pay (NFC payment) and pretty much anything else that a person would need to use. At this point...

Little hint for Safeway/Albertsons who shows they are REALLY out of touch with the intended audience for a grocery store coupon app- folks interested in a grocery store savings app are generally cheap people who may not have the latest and greatest phone.

This article estimates 40% of Android users were on Version 6.0 or older as of last year. Hence why all of these other retailers apps keep supporting the 5.0 and up versions.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/android-s ... g-updates/

Unbelievably out of touch decision here, even in normal times.

Even more out of touch in the middle of a pandemic where many folks are on shaky ground employment-wise and going out and buying a brand new high end smartphone when their current Android 5.0 or Android 6.0 version phone works just fine for every other app, is not really a prudent decision.

Maybe they are trying to kill this Just for U program. That may not be a bad thing.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Safeway/Albertsons Phone App

Post by veteran+ »

I can't stand the damn thing!!
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Safeway and Albertsons do not force customers to use the app in order to get an upgrade. A customer can use a computer or the browser on their phone.

When a phone is too old to receive OS upgrades, it is no longer receiving security upgrades, which increases the risk the phone will be compromised. That means login credentials (think the user's bank or credit card provider), financial information, and NPI can be stolen. That will do a lot more damage than not receiving fifty cents off a tub of margarine.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

I can't stand Vons, Albertsons, Pavilions apps. Ralphs app, which isn't great, is so much easier to search items (which you can't at all on Vons, Albertsons, Pavilions apps), coupons. I load all my Just for U coupons from a PC (I love Vons, Albertsons, Pavilions websites). If I have to bring a coupon or offer during a store visit, I'll use a web browser with a desktop view on my smartphone.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: October 11th, 2020, 12:35 pm Safeway and Albertsons do not force customers to use the app in order to get an upgrade. A customer can use a computer or the browser on their phone.

When a phone is too old to receive OS upgrades, it is no longer receiving security upgrades, which increases the risk the phone will be compromised. That means login credentials (think the user's bank or credit card provider), financial information, and NPI can be stolen. That will do a lot more damage than not receiving fifty cents off a tub of margarine.
Well, I just took a look for Anrdoid for a few bank apps and here is what I see:

Bank of America: "varies by device" (confirmed still works on Android 5.0)
Chase: Android 7.0
US Bank: Android 5.0
Wells Fargo: Android 6.0
Zions Bank: Android 4.3 (Nevada State Bank in my area)

So I don't think Albertsons/Safeway needs more strict security for an app to save .50 on groceries, than a bank app needs. That is quite different. The major bank apps have mostly figured out a way to support the lower Android versions. Perhaps they have additional security on their end to mitigate the risks with the older Android versions. But a bank app is processing with data that is a lot riskier than a grocery coupon app.

You don't even have to log into the Rite Aid or Walgreens apps to clip their coupons. You put in your card number or phone number and can clip coupons directly with that- no password (can't do anything else on the site...). If there is a security risk with the older phone, Albertsons/Safeway should have gone to a light "clip only" function that doesn't let you do anything but clip coupons.

Clueless move by Albertsons/Safeway.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They made their app available again to older phones - now requires Android 6.0 and up.

The update to their app? A new thing called "Safeway Pay." Add your checking account number and the app will give you a QR code to pay. Appears the idea to give them your checking account number to pay, starting with the old 90's VonsChek program linked to the loyalty card, and then the maybe 10 years ago Safeway roll out of Fast Forward via the phone number, has now resurfaced as this Safeway Pay thing in a phone app QR code based thing. No thanks.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have an idea. How about stores cut the crap with all the apps, cards, coupons etc. and lower their prices. People aren't exactly rushing out to buy the latest technology during a pandemic. As Storewanderer said, many people are on shaky ground regarding employment. There is a reason why WinCo is always crowded.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Sometime earlier this year H-E-B made a big deal about their yellow coupons...tear-off coupons located through the store to get a few dollars off on certain items, were now on the app, using a complicated "scan the coupon and show the phone to the cashier" system.

The paper coupons returned within a month.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: October 16th, 2020, 9:26 pm I have an idea. How about stores cut the crap with all the apps, cards, coupons etc. and lower their prices. People aren't exactly rushing out to buy the latest technology during a pandemic. As Storewanderer said, many people are on shaky ground regarding employment. There is a reason why WinCo is always crowded.
These apps with "store promotions" really need to go away. What is happening is if you do not use these store apps at the stores that offer them, you really pay more. These apps are no longer a bonus savings, they are necessary just to get what used to be the savings everyone got.

When these apps started they were truly "extra savings" above what the normal everyday customer already would get.

I do not see many other customers messing with their phone while shopping and engaged with these savings apps. I think the appeal is limited.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I agree!

I feel it takes more time scrolling through crap to find whatever.

I do not want to hold my phone in a store and do whatnot.

And then have to remember for something else at the check stand to scan something with my phone again? Like my Rewards?

Then check my receipt to see if all the crap worked?

Not a fan of this at all.