Trader Joe's pay changes nationwide

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
klkla

Re: Trader Joe's pay changes nationwide

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:17 pm So they give the extra $4/hr (up from extra $2/hr) but now cancel mid-year raises (it doesn't clarify in the article if they are canceling those for good, only for 2021, or only one of the two due in 2021) which typically would be a permanent .65-.75/hr raise.

So there is the "catch" on this one.

So how does that change everyone's opinion?

Employees come out ahead short term but not long term in this case for those who stay working there for a while.
I would imagine that they are in a position where they will have to evaluate their financial situation once the pandemic if over so it makes sense for TJ's to cancel the interim raise until they have clearer guidance.

The article said, "According to the Seattle Times, Trader Joe's typically gives workers a raise of 65 to 75 cents an hour twice a year, meaning employees will be giving up a far smaller but permanent wage hike for a temporary $4-an-hour increase."

I seriously doubt every employee gets a $1.30 to $1.50 an hour raise every year. No retail company does that. Those are probably incremental increases for new employees.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: February 4th, 2021, 6:07 pm
storewanderer wrote: February 4th, 2021, 4:17 pm So they give the extra $4/hr (up from extra $2/hr) but now cancel mid-year raises (it doesn't clarify in the article if they are canceling those for good, only for 2021, or only one of the two due in 2021) which typically would be a permanent .65-.75/hr raise.

So there is the "catch" on this one.

So how does that change everyone's opinion?

Employees come out ahead short term but not long term in this case for those who stay working there for a while.
I would imagine that they are in a position where they will have to evaluate their financial situation once the pandemic if over so it makes sense for TJ's to cancel the interim raise until they have clearer guidance.

The article said, "According to the Seattle Times, Trader Joe's typically gives workers a raise of 65 to 75 cents an hour twice a year, meaning employees will be giving up a far smaller but permanent wage hike for a temporary $4-an-hour increase."

I seriously doubt every employee gets a $1.30 to $1.50 an hour raise every year. No retail company does that. Those are probably incremental increases for new employees.
At some amount, there must be a wage top out. Obviously we are not seeing the whole wage scale here.

They could also do a higher ongoing raise later, once they take the $4/hr extra away.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I am not surprised.

Short sighted solution to pay for that bump.

TJ may have a higher moral compass than other large grocers but they are still focused on the well being at the top.

:|