Newest Albertsons, LLC Decor Vs. Supervalu Decor

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Newest Albertsons, LLC Decor Vs. Supervalu Decor

Post by Alpha8472 »

Albertsons, LLC has been updating some of their stores with a new decor package. This has been out for a while, but it seems like they are constantly making minor variations. The walls are colorful and they have added polished concrete floors in a rich brown color.

In my opinion, these different variations look pretty good:

This Albertsons, LLC decor has much more color than the bland Supervalu Albertsons decor. The LLC stores also seem much brighter than that Supervalu stores.

Supervalu has been adding a new and more colorful decor to some of their stores.

New Supervalu decor:

Also, there are some older Albertsons stores that desperately need remodeling and Supervalu hasn't gotten around to remodeling yet:

Pink Albertsons in the Los Angeles area:

Some Supervalu Albertsons with the Jewel Interior have received minor remodels to look more like a brown version of the Premium Fresh & Healthy Decor:

I think they should have just left the Jewel Interior alone. However, the Premium Fresh & Healthy Decor with Jewel colors looks decent enough.
klkla

Re: Newest Albertsons, LLC Decor Vs. Supervalu Decor

Post by klkla »

Does Albertson's LLC actually have a prototype design for new stores and remodels? Or are they just doing them on an individual basis?

I like the brown Fresh and Premium package. The regular white one is too sterile IMO.

The pink Covina store looks like a cheap (costwise) update to the last Pre-divestiture Albertsons prototype. I don't think that is a design you will see implemented wide scale in Supervalu.

Interesting pics.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I think the pink Albertsons was a decor done by the original Albertons. A similar looking pink Albertsons used to exist in Florida. I had thought that pink supermarket decor was purely a Florida trait, but I was wrong. Pink might have worked in the 60s, but certainly not this decade.

Albertsons, LLC does have a prototype design that they have used on one new store and on a few remodels so far. They did take over one store recently and did not use the new decor. They used a cheaper remodel using old fixtures from closed stores and a new coat of paint. It looked kind of cheap. Why they remodel some with new decor and some with a low budget remodel is beyond me.

Old Store remodeled with new decor:

Cheap remodel:

Last edited by Alpha8472 on December 27th, 2010, 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think klk means the (original white version) of the pink interior was the interior being used in 1998 and 1999 right before all of the CA stores got divested off.

I think it looks pretty bad with the pink. I do wonder who did that: SVU or prior. I am going toward prior.

Ralphs did pick up a couple stores with that interior in NorCal and Raleys got quite a few with that interior in Las Vegas... we had one in Sparks until Save Mart, who painted it and it looks alright, better than most Save Marts, but I liked how it looked better before. Also the Winnemucca, NV Albertsons (a former independent) was nicely remodeled into that interior when Albertsons took it over in the late 1990's, and it was again sold to an independent by LLC that I think is still open, though last time I was there the pharmacy was closed for good and they stopped staffing the kiosk at the fuel center.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have been into some Albertsons stores in Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA that were remodeled in the past year. There appears to be no consistency with the remodels. Some get nothing more than a coat of paint slapped on the walls, right over existing wall mouldings and everything. Some rearrange the aisles, but do not rearrange the lighting accordingly resulting in dark spots. A lot of them keep flooring from previous remodels (I have seen the "blue-gray" flooring retained in several)
And many of them still have half of the fluorescent tubes removed after the remodels are complete, which looks really cheap and makes the store look like a cave. And Albertsons has really slipped in keeping their stores clean and the reduced lighting seems to enhance the dirty appearance of many of them. With Safeway and Fred Meyer doing more thorough remodels, and WinCo remodeling and relocating some of their older stores, as well as building new ones, One would think that Albertsons would take their remodels a little more seriously. I sometimes wonder if Albertsons plans to eventually leave the Portland market.