Total count of closing Albertsons / Safeway stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Total count of closing Albertsons / Safeway stores

Post by arizonaguy »

It seems that it's the time for the Albertsons yearly mass closure (something that started with Albertsons LLC and has continued every year since).

So far we have California stores in Riverside, Lakewood, and in Bakersfield closing (for a total of 4) as well as a store in Clearwater, Florida.

I'm curious what the total store closure count is (and what divisions will be impacted).
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Re: Total count of closing Albertsons / Safeway stores

Post by Jeff »

The Lakewood store is across the street and across a mall from a larger and cleaner Albertsons.

I expect a vons to close in my city. It's only 2 miles from a much larger ALBERTSONS.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

While Albertsons may not have officially announced it, they're closing the 'new' store in Mandeville, LA that they had originally purchased in the Jitney Jungle debacle, then sold it to Sav-A-Center with the New Orleans stores, then re-opened it when Rouses declined it (due to other stores closer by). Was considered a new store when reopened. It will be replaced with a smaller store, I believe.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Grand Junction, CO Broadway, closing June 4. 38 employees, must have been really low volume.

Looks like it got a lifestyle remodel though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Globe, AZ (Claypool) closing mid June.

Large lifestyle store next to a mid 1990's Wal Mart that was converted into a Supercenter (but not expanded into one). Never saw more than one checkstand open in this store.

The smaller location in downtown Globe remains open.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote:Globe, AZ (Claypool) closing mid June.

Large lifestyle store next to a mid 1990's Wal Mart that was converted into a Supercenter (but not expanded into one). Never saw more than one checkstand open in this store.

The smaller location in downtown Globe remains open.
According to Google street view. The smaller location had a grand re-opening in early 2011 (with renovations).

I'd expect that a lot of low volume stores near Walmarts will be closing.

I'd expect that the Peoria, AZ (67th Ave.) store should be closing soon. That store (which you've been to) is all kinds of sad.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

http://ftp.thebusinessjournal.com/news/ ... 7-to-close

Blackstone was a lifestyle store and I'm a little surprised it is closing.

The one on First was a Vons "Value Center" with the old red and white interior and I am not at all surprised it is closing.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

first and nees closing was a no-brainer and the one on blackstone was a low volume store, walmart is gonna gobble up a lot of these shuttered from cerberus/haggen stores in the next few years for their neighborhood market stores
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28083 ... enver-area

9 stores closing in metro Denver. They already closed about 4 stores in metro Denver last year. I think Denver and Phoenix are Safeway's two worst regions. I have photos of many of these stores:
http://storewanderer.blogspot.com/2015/ ... sures.html

So of the 9 closing stores:

Only 3 are lifestyle stores
Three more have the pre-lifestyle interior (two of which were new builds in the early 2000's)
3 have gas stations

560 Castle Pines Parkway, Castle Rock: very nice early 2000's store, non-lifestyle, right at a highway offramp yet no customers. Has Starbucks and First Bank inside.

• 3904 E. 120th Ave, Thornton: maybe late 1980's store, non-lifestyle, has Starbucks inside.

• 12900 Zuni, Westminster. I think this was built as a lifestyle store. It was a "Value" store for a while. Has Starbucks inside.

• 16921 E. Quincy Ave, Aurora. Older early 80's store with SWY Gas Station, and Wells Fargo inside.

• 22675 E. Aurora Parkway, Aurora. Clone of Castle Pines, non lifestyle, also had a SWY Gas Station. Has US Bank and Starbucks inside.

• 1955 S. Sheridan Blvd., Denver. Early 1990's store, remodeled into lifestyle. Has Wells Fargo and Starbucks inside.

• 7500 S. Pierce Street, Littleton. Older store, maybe got expanded at some point. Has pre-lifestyle interior and has Starbucks inside.

• 1730 S. Buckley Road, Aurora. Another older store with the mid 1990's interior.

• 8200 S. Quebec, Centennial (Englewood). Probably early 1990's store, has lifestyle remodel. Also has Safeway Gas Station.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Is Phoenix one of Safeway's worst divisions?

The reason I say that is that while it has been mentioned countless times that it is a poor performing division, Safeway simply hasn't closed many stores in the Phoenix division at all in recent years (while closing several stores in several other divisions). In addition, all but a handful of stores in the Phoenix division are lifestyle stores.

Off the top of my head Safeway has only closed the following Arizona stores (over the last several years years):

2008 - Closed a 2002 Build store at: 20713 N 83rd Avenue Peoria, AZ 85382

2011 - Closed a late 1980s / early 1990s build non-lifestyle store at: 90 Fifth Street, Douglas, AZ 85607

2012 - Closed a late 1980s / early 1990s build lifestyle store at: 18631 N. 19TH Ave Phoenix, AZ 85027

2014- Closed a late 1980s / early 1990s build non-lifestyle store at: 5080 W Olive Ave, Glendale, AZ 85302

2015 - Closing a lifestyle store at: 2448 E. US Hwy 60 Miami, AZ 85539