Total count of closing Albertsons / Safeway stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Total count of closing Albertsons / Safeway stores

Post by CalItalian »

reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

it seems like cerberus is closing the non-lifestyle stores and the smaller lifestyle stores
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I just learned of a 10th closure in Denver: 4884 Chambers Rd. I guess this one went sometime last year. Mid 90's interior but with a gas station out front. Also it got the recent pharmacy remodel. This was another "value" store. This one was supposedly "sold" to a Save a Lot franchisee.

I will add photos to my blog.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote:I just learned of a 10th closure in Denver: 4884 Chambers Rd. I guess this one went sometime last year. Mid 90's interior but with a gas station out front. Also it got the recent pharmacy remodel. This was another "value" store. This one was supposedly "sold" to a Save a Lot franchisee.

I will add photos to my blog.
Interestingly enough, that store is across from a former Albertsons turned SmartCo Foods turned Walmart Neighborhood Market.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think that particular neighborhood was a victim of development gone bad. The Safeway was an older store. Whatever the co-anchor in that center was (probably a drugstore) was long gone and turned into a large church or thrift store. The Albertsons complex was newer early 2000's but in rough shape also. What is odd is that Safeway had decent traffic every time I was there (always had 3 or so registers open). Maybe it was high theft. It did always have security on duty which I did not see at any other Denver Safeways.

The Wal Mart in the former Albertsons was very nice. It was one of those strange ones with no attempt at a service bakery or service deli, but it had more general merchandise than normal due to the size. Never busy any of the times I went in though.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

arizonaguy wrote:
storewanderer wrote:Globe, AZ (Claypool) closing mid June.

Large lifestyle store next to a mid 1990's Wal Mart that was converted into a Supercenter (but not expanded into one). Never saw more than one checkstand open in this store.

The smaller location in downtown Globe remains open.
According to Google street view. The smaller location had a grand re-opening in early 2011 (with renovations).

I'd expect that a lot of low volume stores near Walmarts will be closing.

I'd expect that the Peoria, AZ (67th Ave.) store should be closing soon. That store (which you've been to) is all kinds of sad.
And you're correct...they are closing the Peoria store... http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news ... -jobs.html
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

5425 S. Cooper, Arlington, Texas - Tom Thumb closed on June 20 (Albertsons about 2 minutes down)...unknown
Peterkort Towne Square, Beaverton, Oregon - Albertsons closed on June 20...lease issue
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:5425 S. Cooper, Arlington, Texas - Tom Thumb closed on June 20 (Albertsons about 2 minutes down)...unknown
Peterkort Towne Square, Beaverton, Oregon - Albertsons closed on June 20...lease issue
The Arlington location which closed in June was notable for being one of the few Tom Thumb locations that did not receive a Lifestyle remodel, and the newest out of the bunch (being a late 90'-early 2000's store). The only other locations I am aware of which have not been renovated are at MacArthur and Belt Line in Coppell and at 75 and Meadow in Dallas.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Gonna try to re-visit this topic. While a few stores have opened (almost, if not all conversions from Haggen or Paul's), some stores have closed down or in the process of. Dates are 2016 and the day announced. I'll try to edit this post for the 2016 closings so far... (yes, I know as of the first post I'm missing a lot).

3/7 - Albertsons, 1650 Birchwood Ave, Bellingham, WA
3/16 - Albertsons, 1301 Custer Road, Plano, TX (lease expiration, Tom Thumb stores nearby)
3/21 - ACME, 29 Cornwell Dr., Bridgeton, NJ (lease expiration)
3/21 - ACME, 1080 Broad Street, Shrewsbury NJ (lease expiration, converted A&P Fresh ACME nearby)
3/21 - ACME, 2176 Baltimore Pike, Oxford, PA (lease expiration)
4/5 - Safeway, 617 W. 29th St, Pueblo, CO
4/6 - Safeway, 469 Cole Shopping Center, Cheyenne, WY
4/15 - Safeway, 6745 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy., Portland, OR
4/16 - Safeway, 12680 W 64th Avenue, Arvada, CO
4/18 - Albertsons, 3301 Southern Boulevard, Rio Rancho, NM ("operational efficiencies")
4/19 - Safeway, 2330 Nez Perce Dr., Lewiston, ID
5/4 - Safeway, 5548 E. Grant Rd., Tuscon, AZ ("operational efficiencies")
5/10 - Safeway, 1902 Veirs Mill Road, Rockville, MD (apparently this was supposed to close years ago? new store nearby)
5/10 - Safeway, 6300 Central Avenue, Seat Pleasant, MD (looks to be old store, only Safeway #124?)
6/29 - Albertsons, 20255 N 59th Avenue, Glendale, AZ (reported by arizonaguy, nearby Safeway)
8/27 - Albertsons, 30299 SW Boones Ferry Road, Wilsonville, OR (not sure of exact closing but closed sometime around the time Safeway bought and converted the nearby Lamb's Nature's Choice Market)
9/13 - Albertsons, 150 E. FM 544, Murphy, TX (reported by recklace, closing mid-October)
9/13 - Vons, 431 E. Arrow Highway, Glendora, CA (newspaper)
9/13 - Safeway, 5130 Broadway, Oakland, CA (moving to replacement store at 5100 Broadway)
9/29 - Safeway, 14100 Baltimore Ave, Laurel, MD
10/10 - Albertsons, 7450 South University, Centennial, CO
11/17 - Safeway, 1322 E. 8th Street, Pueblo, CO (now closing)
Last edited by pseudo3d on November 28th, 2016, 10:02 am, edited 8 times in total.