Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

Post by storewanderer »

lola42 wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 7:55 pm
CalItalian wrote: December 24th, 2017, 11:41 pm The after that, the system failed to take off a personalized digital coupon which the self-checkout cashier had to enter as a manual discount. After that, at the end of the order, after selecting I did not want to purchase any bags, the system would not allow me to proceed to payment. The self-checkout cashier had to override that, too. At the end, although I had already paid and a receipt had popped out, the system showed that payment was not authorized (which it was and the self-checkout cashier just told me to go). 4 times needing self checkout cashier intervention (and I wasn't the only one needing it). What's the use? I thought CVS self checkout was bad enough but Safeway takes the prize now.
With so many IT resources being redirected to Drive Up & Go, I wonder if the rest of their programs are on auto-pilot?
It doesn't seem like Drive Up & Go should take much effort from IT. After all, they already have the system down to pick items, store orders, etc. from the .com program that Safeway has had in place for a long, long time. If anything it seems like the Drive Up & Go thing would take resources such as reconfiguring parking lots and hiring employees to take orders out to the parking lot.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 8:21 pm
lola42 wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 7:55 pm
CalItalian wrote: December 24th, 2017, 11:41 pm The after that, the system failed to take off a personalized digital coupon which the self-checkout cashier had to enter as a manual discount. After that, at the end of the order, after selecting I did not want to purchase any bags, the system would not allow me to proceed to payment. The self-checkout cashier had to override that, too. At the end, although I had already paid and a receipt had popped out, the system showed that payment was not authorized (which it was and the self-checkout cashier just told me to go). 4 times needing self checkout cashier intervention (and I wasn't the only one needing it). What's the use? I thought CVS self checkout was bad enough but Safeway takes the prize now.
With so many IT resources being redirected to Drive Up & Go, I wonder if the rest of their programs are on auto-pilot?
It doesn't seem like Drive Up & Go should take much effort from IT. After all, they already have the system down to pick items, store orders, etc. from the .com program that Safeway has had in place for a long, long time. If anything it seems like the Drive Up & Go thing would take resources such as reconfiguring parking lots and hiring employees to take orders out to the parking lot.
It's never worked at CVS. Because of promotions ranging from $10 off $10 to $15 off $30, I've ordered at least a dozen times and tried to get them to come out to my car at a number of CVS locations. Employees don't get notified by the app when you check-in even when there is a parking space reserved for pick-up. 100% of the time I've had to go inside CVS. One time they couldn't even find my order in the system. It's a joke.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am not clear exactly what Albertsons "Drive Up and Go" service is. I assume it is similar to the Kroger Clicklist. Or similar to the 10+ year old Raleys eCart service. This is not new technology or a novel concept. Raleys has been doing it in a limited number of stores for 10+ years.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: January 24th, 2018, 8:59 pm I am not clear exactly what Albertsons "Drive Up and Go" service is. I assume it is similar to the Kroger Clicklist. Or similar to the 10+ year old Raleys eCart service. This is not new technology or a novel concept. Raleys has been doing it in a limited number of stores for 10+ years.
It appears "Drive Up and Go" is essentially the Albertsons answer to Kroger's Clicklist and Walmart's Pickup.

architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

arizonaguy wrote: January 25th, 2018, 5:29 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 24th, 2018, 8:59 pm I am not clear exactly what Albertsons "Drive Up and Go" service is. I assume it is similar to the Kroger Clicklist. Or similar to the 10+ year old Raleys eCart service. This is not new technology or a novel concept. Raleys has been doing it in a limited number of stores for 10+ years.
It appears "Drive Up and Go" is essentially the Albertsons answer to Kroger's Clicklist and Walmart's Pickup.

This is exactly it. It has rolled out to quite a few Tom Thumb locations around DFW (for sure locations in Plano, Richardson, Garland, Coppell and Fort Worth among others), all of which so far are New Generation stores built in the Randalls era. Coincidentally, these stores work great for the Drive Up and Go setup as these New Generation stores had an entry vesitbule offset to one side of the store with an emergency exit along the front wall of the building on the other side. In most cases, Albertsons has been able to convert these emergency exit doors to be used for access to the Drive Up and Go spaces, with adjacent front office/breakroom space remodeled for the product storage area. I have not seen this added at any Safeway-built or pre-Randalls stores yet to see how other configurations might be set up.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

This store is a Safeway built store (opened in 2008) but it doesn't have the typical Safeway layout, instead it has the Genuardis layout.

The product storage area is in an area that used to be a rather large shopping cart storage area adjacent to the vestibule at the right entrance of the store.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

arizonaguy wrote: January 25th, 2018, 9:33 pm This store is a Safeway built store (opened in 2008) but it doesn't have the typical Safeway layout, instead it has the Genuardis layout.

The product storage area is in an area that used to be a rather large shopping cart storage area adjacent to the vestibule at the right entrance of the store.
Which store is this? Apologies if it is stated somewhere and I missed it.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

rwsandiego wrote: January 25th, 2018, 11:13 pm
arizonaguy wrote: January 25th, 2018, 9:33 pm This store is a Safeway built store (opened in 2008) but it doesn't have the typical Safeway layout, instead it has the Genuardis layout.

Which store is this? Apologies if it is stated somewhere and I missed it.
39th Ave and Happy Valley Rd. in Phoenix.

The Safeway at Scottsdale Rd. and Ashler Hills Dr. in Scottsdale also has the Genuardis layout.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

This is also where they placed it at the Cedar Hills Safeway in the Portland, Ore. metro area. This is the only Portland market store I've seen 'Drive n' go' offered in though. I made a post about it earlier this year, not realizing it was a service already offered elsewhere.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

I had an interesting truck spotting in the DFW area today. The DFW warehouse has developed a new artwork set for their trucks and trailers, which mostly serves as an ad for O Organics on the sides. However, at the bottom of the side artwork, the logos for Albertsons, Tom Thumb and Randalls are all shown (with the Randalls logo being in the far bottom right corner). Now here's the interesting part: on the back, the same design scheme is carried through, but with only the Albertsons and Tom Thumb logos shown (along with the web addresses in large print), but nothing for Randalls. In addition, on the side artwork, the area surrounding the Randalls logo is in a flat one-color area (unlike the other two logos), leading me to be believe that the artwork was designed so that the Randalls logo on the sides could simply be covered over if the banner was discontinued at some point. I was unable to get a photo as I was driving at the time, but I will keep an eye out for one of these trucks again. Side note, this was my first time seeing all three banners represented on one trailer.