Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

Post by jamcool »

I saw the first Albertsons/Safeway combo ad in the Phoenix newspaper today-Safeway shoppers requiring the card to get the same price as Albertsons shoppers. does this signal the start of the combination of the 2 chains in Arizona?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They've been combining the monthly big book of savings for over a year now with the two banners in that market.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

jamcool wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 2:56 pm I saw the first Albertsons/Safeway combo ad in the Phoenix newspaper today-Safeway shoppers requiring the card to get the same price as Albertsons shoppers. does this signal the start of the combination of the 2 chains in Arizona?
storewanderer wrote: November 24th, 2018, 11:40 pm They've been combining the monthly big book of savings for over a year now with the two banners in that market.
This is the first time I've seen a combined "weekly ad." Makes me wonder whether this is a special (as is the monthly big book of savings) or we will start seeing a combined ad every week.

I'll report back when the circulars arrive in Tuesday's mail.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

rwsandiego wrote: November 25th, 2018, 8:05 pm
jamcool wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 2:56 pm I saw the first Albertsons/Safeway combo ad in the Phoenix newspaper today-Safeway shoppers requiring the card to get the same price as Albertsons shoppers. does this signal the start of the combination of the 2 chains in Arizona?
storewanderer wrote: November 24th, 2018, 11:40 pm They've been combining the monthly big book of savings for over a year now with the two banners in that market.
This is the first time I've seen a combined "weekly ad." Makes me wonder whether this is a special (as is the monthly big book of savings) or we will start seeing a combined ad every week.

I'll report back when the circulars arrive in Tuesday's mail.
Well, the mail arrived and in it was a Safeway ad and an Albertsons ad. Some of the sale prices were lower at Albertsons.
ScottyD0ES
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by ScottyD0ES »

Recently, a Oregon Coast Safeway got an update from standard Lifestyle with Center Of Store expansion to the more modern
"Colorful Lifestyle" with a customized decor package that reflects some of the local attributes of the area.

Stay tuned for pictures as they become available.
ScottyD0ES
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by ScottyD0ES »

This new label is taking the place of Open Nature and Eating Right labels.
Attachments
88C05D38-C6AB-404F-BA02-76BA5AAA70B6.jpeg
88C05D38-C6AB-404F-BA02-76BA5AAA70B6.jpeg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

ScottyD0ES wrote: December 20th, 2018, 1:47 pm This new label is taking the place of Open Nature and Eating Right labels.
Actually, it is the "new" Signature Select, as that label has become the replacement for Signature Kitchens, Signature Home, etc. Open Nature is alive and well and just wet through a redesign. Haven't seen Eating Right in years.
ScottyD0ES
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by ScottyD0ES »

rwsandiego wrote: December 20th, 2018, 7:47 pm
ScottyD0ES wrote: December 20th, 2018, 1:47 pm This new label is taking the place of Open Nature and Eating Right labels.
Actually, it is the "new" Signature Select, as that label has become the replacement for Signature Kitchens, Signature Home, etc. Open Nature is alive and well and just wet through a redesign. Haven't seen Eating Right in years.
Eating right was lingering around in a few areas.

Grocery pasta,
Deli dips and spreads
Frozen dinners

But like you said, it's rarely seen.
ScottyD0ES
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by ScottyD0ES »

storewanderer wrote: September 11th, 2018, 8:35 pm Meanwhile back at the farm, NorCal just finished doing an expansion and remodel to its store in Tahoe City, CA. Old Lifestyle 2.0 decor again. The store now has a cement floor, throughout, though.

Maybe you wouldn't even call it a remodel but just an expansion. And then the old decor continued in the expanded area.
The polished concrete floors are becoming more and more common throughout the company.
In addition to newly built stores, remodeled stores are also getting tiles removed and going for the polished look too.
The only caveat is, you are going to see every floor cut (think surgical scars) from previous remodels or refrigerator case installs.
But, from what I've seen, it adds character. Haha.
Super S

Post by Super S »

ScottyD0ES wrote: December 21st, 2018, 1:09 pm
storewanderer wrote: September 11th, 2018, 8:35 pm Meanwhile back at the farm, NorCal just finished doing an expansion and remodel to its store in Tahoe City, CA. Old Lifestyle 2.0 decor again. The store now has a cement floor, throughout, though.

Maybe you wouldn't even call it a remodel but just an expansion. And then the old decor continued in the expanded area.
The polished concrete floors are becoming more and more common throughout the company.
In addition to newly built stores, remodeled stores are also getting tiles removed and going for the polished look too.
The only caveat is, you are going to see every floor cut (think surgical scars) from previous remodels or refrigerator case installs.
But, from what I've seen, it adds character. Haha.
In other words, they are doing what Fred Meyer has been doing with the floors on most of their remodels the past few years. I have yet to see a polished floor conversion which resulted in a better looking floor though..