Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
HelloOutThere
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Re: Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

Post by HelloOutThere »

Has anyone else seen the TV commercials Albertsons is currently running for the 4x gas promotion thing? It's set at a gas station, where a woman filling up her car is greeted by a "genie" who tells her about the promotion. It is hands-down one of the most bizarre, low-budget, and stupid commercials I have seen in quite some time, for any brand.

I'm in the LA area and have only seen the commercial tagged with the Albertsons banner, though Vons / Pavilions is also participating in the gas promo. The commercial appears to be in heavy rotation. I suppose it's memorable, but it's just so embarrassing for the brand.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote:They seem more competitive on some items (not nearly all items) with Fred Meyer in Seattle area now than they used to be. Basic items like private label flour, private label sugar, private label yogurt, are all priced competitive now. A lot of name brand dry goods continue to be 20-30%+ higher in price when you compare everyday prices.

Also in Seattle, the Albertsons Stores are basically such in name and not much more. Perimeters are switched almost completely to Safeway items and programs. Center store still feels like it has a larger mix than Safeway, but that is about it. Also in-store announcements over the speaker saying "exclusively at Safeway" and then being asked when I paid if I "had a Safeway card" pretty much sealed it all up in my opinion. Supervalu did run Albertsons into the ground particularly badly in Washington so this is probably the best move to make.
In DFW, the Albertsons stores seem to be running much the same way, but more without an identity rather than being a part of Tom Thumb. Over the past several months, many items which were formerly carried at Albertsons stores have been dropped in favor of Tom Thumb's often abbreviated selection. Clearly the product mix is shifting towards Safeway's model; this is particularly noticeable in both center-store and health/personal care. Tom Thumb receives the bulk of advertising in the market, but Albertsons ads are occasionally heard as well, along with combined ads for both banners (most of these revolve around fuel points). Interestingly, I also recently saw a combined Market Street-Albertsons ad, so I've wondered if this could be a harbinger of something else to come. Most of the Albertsons locations which show long-term potential are located on the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex, and are therefore closer to more of the United store base. Could the remaining Albertsons locations eventually be transferred to the United division, much like the West Texas/Panhandle stores were a couple of years back? This would better balance the Southern and United divisions while also allowing the Southern division to focus more exclusively on a format which serves the more urban areas of Dallas, Houston and Austin.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

HelloOutThere wrote:Has anyone else seen the TV commercials Albertsons is currently running for the 4x gas promotion thing? It's set at a gas station, where a woman filling up her car is greeted by a "genie" who tells her about the promotion. It is hands-down one of the most bizarre, low-budget, and stupid commercials I have seen in quite some time, for any brand.
In the Portland (TV) ad market, we do not have a genie, only a shot of the woman and a reminder about gas points - then it goes into a pretty standard Safeway "this week's advertised specials" campaign. I believe last week it was the Safeway Anniversary Sale. Radio wise, they've been pushing it as an Albertsons offering but redeemable at Safeway / Chevron / Texaco gas stations, but only about once a month. Safeway is the one now on week after week with advertised grocery specials and fuel rewards offer.

Safeway also signed on as one of the major sponsors of KGW-8's School Supplies drive this year so that is prompted as a donation opportunity at check out.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:
storewanderer wrote:They seem more competitive on some items (not nearly all items) with Fred Meyer in Seattle area now than they used to be. Basic items like private label flour, private label sugar, private label yogurt, are all priced competitive now. A lot of name brand dry goods continue to be 20-30%+ higher in price when you compare everyday prices.

Also in Seattle, the Albertsons Stores are basically such in name and not much more. Perimeters are switched almost completely to Safeway items and programs. Center store still feels like it has a larger mix than Safeway, but that is about it. Also in-store announcements over the speaker saying "exclusively at Safeway" and then being asked when I paid if I "had a Safeway card" pretty much sealed it all up in my opinion. Supervalu did run Albertsons into the ground particularly badly in Washington so this is probably the best move to make.
In DFW, the Albertsons stores seem to be running much the same way, but more without an identity rather than being a part of Tom Thumb. Over the past several months, many items which were formerly carried at Albertsons stores have been dropped in favor of Tom Thumb's often abbreviated selection. Clearly the product mix is shifting towards Safeway's model; this is particularly noticeable in both center-store and health/personal care. Tom Thumb receives the bulk of advertising in the market, but Albertsons ads are occasionally heard as well, along with combined ads for both banners (most of these revolve around fuel points). Interestingly, I also recently saw a combined Market Street-Albertsons ad, so I've wondered if this could be a harbinger of something else to come. Most of the Albertsons locations which show long-term potential are located on the Fort Worth side of the Metroplex, and are therefore closer to more of the United store base. Could the remaining Albertsons locations eventually be transferred to the United division, much like the West Texas/Panhandle stores were a couple of years back? This would better balance the Southern and United divisions while also allowing the Southern division to focus more exclusively on a format which serves the more urban areas of Dallas, Houston and Austin.
Yes, and it's the Safeway-ization of Albertsons that prevents the competitive prices of Albertsons/Tom Thumb from being great news, only positive ones. I'd rather see low prices, no card, and a more complete merchandise mix.

I could see the Southern/United divisions being split down the middle of the Metroplex, quite honestly.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

HelloOutThere wrote:Has anyone else seen the TV commercials Albertsons is currently running for the 4x gas promotion thing? It's set at a gas station, where a woman filling up her car is greeted by a "genie" who tells her about the promotion. It is hands-down one of the most bizarre, low-budget, and stupid commercials I have seen in quite some time, for any brand.

I'm in the LA area and have only seen the commercial tagged with the Albertsons banner, though Vons / Pavilions is also participating in the gas promo. The commercial appears to be in heavy rotation. I suppose it's memorable, but it's just so embarrassing for the brand.
Vons has been running their annual Anniversary Sale tv ads. That's over tomorrow so we'll see what they run on Wednesday.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

For those wondering, this is the ad. I can't understand if the guy is supposed to be a real genie or just an overly exuberant (employee?). I mean, if this aired here in Oregon that would actually make sense since we have gas station attendants.
Albertsons "Genie" 4x Fuel Rewards
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Based on what is happening lately with United digesting (and it is quite a meal) the Albertsons around Albuquerque, I think they have their hands a bit full... based on what I am seeing with recent reviews on Google and other Social Media Outlets on the Albuquerque Albertsons locations that are now under United...

Albuquerque is NOT West Texas. Nor is it Phoenix. It is truly its own market.

Albertsons Southwest had Albuquerque running really good 5 or so years ago; the stores needed capital and they were clearly not doing as well as Smiths, but they were doing okay and pricing was surprisingly competitive.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Speaking of New Mexico, I took a look at the Gallup weekly ad and found the following:

http://albertsons.mywebgrocer.com/Circu ... 4/Weekly/2

The Big Book of Savings for the SW region has had Albertsons, Safeway, and VONS for the last year or more. However the weekly adds have been separate. In Gallup, the weekly ad is also co-branded and there is no mention of a club card.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

arizonaguy wrote:Speaking of New Mexico, I took a look at the Gallup weekly ad and found the following:

http://albertsons.mywebgrocer.com/Circu ... 4/Weekly/2

The Big Book of Savings for the SW region has had Albertsons, Safeway, and VONS for the last year or more. However the weekly adds have been separate. In Gallup, the weekly ad is also co-branded and there is no mention of a club card.
I noticed that when driving through Gallup and stopping at the Albertsons. Given there is one Safeway and one Albertsons in town, it makes sense.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I saw another Albertsons Companies commercial on TV last night around 9 PM. It actually did not show any store names until the very end. It was staged with people shopping in a very generic looking store but the store was obviously a Safeway based on the signs and carts used. It looked like they actually did something so you could not see the wall fixtures, yet you could see the ceiling hanging signs (right down to seeing the signs say CLUB PRICE). The people were running around the store.

Ultimately they all ended up gathering dozens of packages of Smithfield Bacon in their hands, so many they could not hold the packages anymore, then letting all of the packages of bacon fall to the floor. It was promoting something to do with bacon or some kind of sweepstakes.

Then at the end of the commercial a slide showed up that said Albertsons companies in the very center fairly large, then down lower, in much smaller sizes, almost so small you couldn't see it, it showed in full color all of their banners. So there was nothing that explicitly said Albertsons until this time...