CVS closing 70 stores

BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: CVS closing 70 stores

Post by BillyGr »

norcalriteaidclerk wrote:I believe that the west Market Street location in the Castro district(former Tower Records)was hamstrung from the beginning due to a lack of a liquor license.
As I see it,just the former limitation alone(no 'adult' items)throttled the ability for CVS to even achieve high volume at that location.
I'd think that they would know how to operate a store without a liquor license, since they operate in many places where that would be the norm (either no alcohol items at all or very limited like just beer).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

That reminds me...CVS stopped selling tobacco products a few years ago, how's that working out for them?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

In California, it is expected a drug store offers liquor. A drug store without liquor will upset and confuse customers.

Not selling tobacco probably did not help CVS in San Francisco either... even if tobacco is a negative gross margin category, the problem is that its absence will lose the store other purchases from those who use tobacco.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Two more closures; this is not what I expected to see, I was expecting to see more strip mall stores close:

Visalia store at 2135 N. Dinuba Blvd. - this was a store CVS built on its own in 2008 before buying Longs; freestanding, small model store.
Madera store at 1456 E. Yosemite Ave. - this was a store Longs built in 2008, again, freestanding, but a larger model.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/living/food-dr ... rylink=cpy
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

And 11 stores in Chicago:

It is interesting because you can tell an original CVS from a former Osco by the service offering signs placed on the buildings. Plus phrases like "RX Drive Thru" which were Albertsons terms vs. "Drive Thru Pharmacy" the CVS term.

5360 S. Western Ave. - appears to be a freestanding store built by CVS (before they bought Osco?)
3411 W. Addison St. - tiny store, again looks like it was freestanding built by CVS
4540 N. Pulaski - clearly former Osco, looks like it has seen better days
2828 N. Clark St. - interesting looking store in the bottom of some large building, also has a Minute Clinic (surprised to see them close a store that warranted adding Minute Clinic)
2825 W. Devon - very old former Osco
120 S. Lasalle St. - downtown and don't think it has been there very long
2053 N Milwaukee Ave. - very old former Osco
6355 W. Belmont - another freestanding store built by CVS
2722 N. Central Ave. - very late build Osco
3146 W. Madison - looks like a brand new freestanding CVS...
3552 W. Grand - massive looking former Osco (former Jewel?)
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:And 11 stores in Chicago:

It is interesting because you can tell an original CVS from a former Osco by the service offering signs placed on the buildings. Plus phrases like "RX Drive Thru" which were Albertsons terms vs. "Drive Thru Pharmacy" the CVS term.

5360 S. Western Ave. - appears to be a freestanding store built by CVS (before they bought Osco?)
3411 W. Addison St. - tiny store, again looks like it was freestanding built by CVS
2828 N. Clark St. - interesting looking store in the bottom of some large building, also has a Minute Clinic (surprised to see them close a store that warranted adding Minute Clinic)
A cursory Google search reveals that 3552 West Grand was originally built as a Jewel-Osco (the combo store, yes) in the early 1970s. I was giving it a 60% chance that it was a former Turn Style, which I remember reading a few did turn into Osco stores when Jewel Cos. closed the chain in the late 1970s.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote:And 11 stores in Chicago:

2828 N Clark Street is the first floor of The Century, a former movie palace that was turned into a quirky mall in the 1970's. The mall was renovated in the 1999/2000 timeframe at which point a Landmark Cinema was added. There's another CVS two long blocks north on Clark and another three blocks north on Boadway.

2053 N Milwaukee was a Jewel that got converted to an Osco when ASC converted several smaller, inner-city Jewels to Osco. Prior to being a Jewel, it was an A&P. I don't recall whether it was originally a National.

3552 W Grand was, in fact, a Jewel-Osco prior to becoming an Osco.

I have many fond memories of the 120 S LaSalle building, having started my banking career there at The Exchange National Bank of Chicago in 1984. There's a beautiful metal mural on the second floor. Worth a visit when in downtown Chicago.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote:In California, it is expected a drug store offers liquor. A drug store without liquor will upset and confuse customers.
Former built as Longs in Santa Monica, Ca (3202 Wishire) with underground parking was split by CVS not long after taking over. I loved this Longs Drugs but CVS split the store in 1/2 and sold the liquor, beer and wine license to BevMo. This store has had hardly any business since the split. I don't even know why it is still open.