CVS Customer Traffic in Converted Longs

storewanderer

CVS Customer Traffic in Converted Longs

Post by storewanderer »

How are the CA Stores doing? Their converted stores here in NV are doing noticeably less business than Longs, and some of them were already slow as Longs.

However these former Longs CVS Stores are a lot different than the former Sav-On CVS Stores. They are stocked better, cleaner, and in general are far better operations. Christmas Trees and Pumpkins were sold and they have brought a number of Longs items in. Longs private labels including Walnut Grove and Holiday Place have remained stocked by CVS. The liquor departments don't look much different than they did as Longs.

This is a real contrast to how CVS handled the former Sav-Ons where they cut the heck out of product mix in categories like food and liquor and eliminated entire categories from most stores like sporting goods and hardware. CVS also quit selling things like pumpkins and live plants at the former Sav-Ons. CVS did improve selecton in drug categories such as vitamins, cosmetics, and seasonal. CVS touted "thousands of new items" when remodeling the Sav-Ons. CVS has not made that claim with Longs.

Also, I am finding somewhat often the clerks scan an Extra Care Card that is sitting around or don't scan one at all and try to charge me full price (until I present my card after they tell me the total at full price). I don't think the Extra Card is working too well for them in CA yet. I have seen billboards and heard other media advertisements for the Extra Card explaining the 2% cash back, mention of the coupon printer in-store (if you can find one that works ...), etc.

Another thing I've noticed in these stores is the employees aren't all that friendly.

Some of the prices are better, but others are worse. The promotions are different.

Overall I'd say this is a sideways move at best from what Longs was. And that may be a stretch.
Alpha8472

Re: CVS Customer Traffic in Converted Longs

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed that CVS stores still carry some Longs items such as Walnut Grove. However, many items that Longs used to carry are no longer carried such as organic and natural products.

The stores definitely have lost customers. Longs used to be bustling with customers and now the stores seem much less crowded. There are less employees and less cash registers open.

The CVS stores are completely decked out with signs that say "New Lower Prices." That is the most annoying thing. From what I have seen, prices have gone up on some items and the few items that have gone down really don't make much of a difference to me. The sales ads feature items that are just not as appealing as what Longs used to offer.

I have noticed that the local Rite Aid has gotten much more busy. They have added more cashiers and often need to call for more employees to open new registers. People have switched to Rite Aid even in the former hometown of Longs (Walnut Creek). The shelves with gourmet food actually show that people are buying those items. I saw employees restocking the shelves. Shocking!