Longs Drugs?

J-Man
Silver Member
Silver Member

Longs Drugs?

Post by J-Man » August 22nd, 2017, 1:57 pm

I got an email today from "Longs Drugs ExtraCare." Of course it was actually from CVS, but the sender was clearly labeled as Longs Drugs ExtraCare, and the fine print at the bottom includes this language:
*Offer available from 8/14/17 through 3/31/18. Coupon valid for one time use at Longs Drugs® locations only, on non-pharmacy purchases with a minimum purchase of $25. Savings applied to total qualifying purchase after other coupons & discounts are applied. ExtraCare® card must be presented for savings. Cannot be redeemed at MinuteClinic® or to discount flu shot. Terms and conditions are applied to coupon. See coupon for details. Coupon cannot be issued or redeemed at Longs Drugs locations inside Target stores. Offer valid in state of HI only. Limit one per customer.

So I guess there are Longs Drugs in Hawaii, but I'm in California. So I have to get on a plane to be able to take advantage of this offer? Also -- do the Targets in Hawaii (assuming there are any) have Longs Drugs inside in lieu of CVS?

klkla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Longs Drugs?

Post by klkla » August 22nd, 2017, 5:15 pm

Sounds like it was just a mistake. I would imagine they have separate EMail lists for each advertising region and someone accidentally sent you the offer intended for Hawaii.

rwsandiego
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by rwsandiego » August 22nd, 2017, 6:09 pm

J-Man wrote:I got an email today from "Longs Drugs ExtraCare." Of course it was actually from CVS, but the sender was clearly labeled as Longs Drugs ExtraCare, and the fine print at the bottom includes this language:
*Offer available from 8/14/17 through 3/31/18. Coupon valid for one time use at Longs Drugs® locations only, on non-pharmacy purchases with a minimum purchase of $25. Savings applied to total qualifying purchase after other coupons & discounts are applied. ExtraCare® card must be presented for savings. Cannot be redeemed at MinuteClinic® or to discount flu shot. Terms and conditions are applied to coupon. See coupon for details. Coupon cannot be issued or redeemed at Longs Drugs locations inside Target stores. Offer valid in state of HI only. Limit one per customer.

So I guess there are Longs Drugs in Hawaii, but I'm in California. So I have to get on a plane to be able to take advantage of this offer? Also -- do the Targets in Hawaii (assuming there are any) have Longs Drugs inside in lieu of CVS?

According to the Yelp review page for the store at 4380 Lawehana St Honolulu, HI 96818, it has a Longs Drugs pharmacy.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer » August 22nd, 2017, 10:27 pm

At least CVS is committed to the Longs banner in Hawaii.

Along with the Longs ad format? http://longs.staradvertiser.com/maui/0820/

mbz321
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by mbz321 » August 23rd, 2017, 11:42 pm

Why did CVS choose to keep the Longs banner only in Hawaii? Was there that much brand loyalty to them in HI vs California?

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Alpha8472 » August 24th, 2017, 5:09 am

CVS debated keeping the Longs Drugs name in the home territory of Longs Drugs in Northern California. However, CVS decided that California should only have one brand.

This was a big mistake. CVS lost many customers and lots of business. Loyal Longs customers boycotted CVS stores. Sales dropped around 50 percent or more in many former Longs Drugs stores. Even the former Longs Drugs flagship is not doing so well. The store used to be packed with customers, now it is a ghost town much of the day. The pharmacy is no longer 24 hours.

CVS made a big mistake and did not realize how loyal people are to the local Longs Drugs name. People can tolerate higher CVS prices, but eliminating a trusted local drug store name that went back decades is personal.

Hawaiian customers are even more loyal. If the Longs Drugs name had been eliminated, many of those stores would have closed down due to the lack of customers. Longs Drugs has been in Hawaii so long that it has become part of their culture. There are many Hawaiian products sold at Longs Drugs stores that are not available in the mainland stores.

Super S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by Super S » August 24th, 2017, 8:29 am

rwsandiego wrote:
J-Man wrote:I got an email today from "Longs Drugs ExtraCare." Of course it was actually from CVS, but the sender was clearly labeled as Longs Drugs ExtraCare, and the fine print at the bottom includes this language:

According to the Yelp review page for the store at 4380 Lawehana St Honolulu, HI 96818, it has a Longs Drugs pharmacy.

Do I see a set of CVS/Longs cash registers AND a set of Target registers on the counter?

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Alpha8472 » August 24th, 2017, 4:33 pm

The registers are handled by Target, but the separate
computers next to the registers used for looking up patient information run CVS software.