Bi-Mart Changes?

Super S

Re: Bi-Mart Changes?

Post by Super S »

There is a major traffic change coming in Vancouver, WA that could impact the location on Falk Road, south of state route 500:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2018/aug ... 0-signals/

I wouldn't necessarily say that the store will close, as Bi-Mart seems to serve as more of a neighborhood store in many locations (which sometimes are off the beaten path), but this certainly will affect traffic patterns, and makes you wonder if Bi-Mart would have built in the location had they known about this. At one point there were plans in place to replace all signals with interchanges and overpasses, but the money has dried up.

As I mentioned, Bi-Mart sometimes has stores off the beaten path, but they tend to stick around for the most part. Time will tell what happens.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Bi-Mart is now closing pharmacies at both Vancouver, WA stores, as well as at a fairly new location in Scappoose, OR:

https://www.columbian.com/news/2019/feb ... ea-stores/

The article mentions that the pharmacy at the Washougal location will remain open.

The Orchards location has plenty of competition close by, not only a Walgreens, but also a fairly new Walmart and a Fred Meyer. Worth noting is that the Orchards location is a former PayLess Drug, and the location nearby that replaced this one was eventually closed by Rite Aid. Falk Road doesn't have much close by, the only one I can think of within a mile is a Walmart Neighborhood Market but I don't know if it has a pharmacy. I have to wonder about a drop in business at that location due to changes at the nearby SR500 intersection (which no longer allows you to cross SR500). Scappoose has a Fred Meyer right across the road.

I have noticed that the last few Bi-Mart coupon books seem to mention little to nothing about the pharmacy, and it makes me wonder now if Bi-Mart may eventually exit the pharmacy business.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

I’m guessing Scappose was being eaten alive by Fred Meyer, ditto with Vancouver. I know the Coos Bay, North Bend (OR), La Pine and Winston pharmacies are always jammed with people. La Pine is Bi-Mart’s busiest store, so doubt they would close the pharmacy there. Kuna, ID does have a pharmacy - it’s also a pretty nice store.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Apparently the location in East Wenatchee, WA also lost its pharmacy at the same time as the Vancouver stores:
https://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/loc ... 4b7e2.html
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

“Meadowland” location on the Portland - Gresham border closed, records sold to Walgreens nearby.
Super S

Post by Super S »

With Meadowland, that brings the total to 6 closures. This might not sound like a lot but when it's a chain of just over 70 stores, it doesn't exactly bode well for the future of the remaining pharmacies.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I stopped at the Orchards Bi-Mart today for something, and decided to wander over by the pharmacy area. They have pretty much removed all signs of a pharmacy inside. The whole enclosure and everything is gone and aisles have been rearranged. You can't tell on the inside that the store had a pharmacy in the traditional Bi-Mart area (although mismatched floor tiles remain from where the PayLess pharmacy was at in the store years ago) On the outside, the walk-up window has been removed and patched with matching bricks. The glass where the walk-up window was on the overhang (to block wind etc.) still remains as does a security camera, and there is a visible spot where the pharmacy sign used to be. It's safe to assume this change will be permanent. The store otherwise seemed to be business as usual.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Further update:
Bi-Mart closing all Portland area pharmacies by 2020. Patient lists sold to nearby Walgreens stores.

Washougal, Wa included despite not being subject to the cited tax as the reason:
More at Oregon Live.com - can't seem to link
Super S

Post by Super S »

Here is a link to the KPTV story:

https://www.kptv.com/news/bi-mart-endin ... 0de2c.html

A few locations, such as Washougal, Molalla, and Sandy are a little further out and are surprising as they don't have as much competition close by.

As there have already been a handful of closures, it looks more likely Bi-Mart will exit the pharmacy business. This brings the total number of pharmacy closures to 19.

EDIT: I had the wrong link posted. The correct one is up now.
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

It looks like Kuna’s pharmacy closed recently... I was in Klamath Falls recently, and one of the managers at Bi-Mart mentioned that stores on the 97 corridor are doing pretty well (especially K-Falls and La Pine) and stores like Winston are also really busy. He indicated that Bi-Mart is going to continue expanding - didn’t know about the pharmacy biz though.

As far as pharmacy profitability goes, my area (Carson City / Reno) is a good indicator - Carson only has one independent pharmacy left (Dahl’s) - Raley’s closed about 30 of their pharmacies, and the pharmacy benefit managers are eating everyone’s lunch. My pharmacist friend told me that unless you’re at one of the big three drug store chains, Walmart, Kroger, Costco or Albertsons - you probably won’t survive. Raley’s and Bi-Mart are fairly similar in size, so no surprise they’re closing pharmacies.