Albertsons to buy (what's left of) RiteAid

wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Albertsons to buy (what's left of) RiteAid

Post by wnetmacman »

Apparently official this morning, Albertsons announced the purchase of Rite Aid.

Grocery chain Albertsons to acquire Rite Aid

Not sure where they got the money; the article suggests it's in defense of Amazon.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Albertsons to buy (what's left of) RiteAid

Post by mbz321 »

Well I guess Acme can finally drop what is left of the failed attempt to brand their in store Pharmacies as 'Sav-On'.
Super S

Post by Super S »

So I guess this means that there are going to be many shopping centers in the Pacific Northwest where Albertsons or Safeway will be under the same ownership as the Rite Aid stores in the same shopping centers. Not to mention many more located across from one another.

The whole Haggen debacle proved that, in the end, they won't have to divest everything.
Last edited by Super S on February 20th, 2018, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Apparently all of the pharmacies in ABS stores will become Rite Aid branded ..which will be odd in the areas RAD doesn’t operate (like Arizona and Illinois )
Does Jewel Osco become Jewel Rite Aid?
What happens to Thrifty ice cream?
Super S

Post by Super S »

jamcool wrote: February 20th, 2018, 9:39 am Apparently all of the pharmacies in ABS stores will become Rite Aid branded ..which will be odd in the areas RAD doesn’t operate (like Arizona and Illinois )
Does Jewel Osco become Jewel Rite Aid?
What happens to Thrifty ice cream?
Meanwhile, in the Pacific Northwest stores I mentioned, Safeway and Albertsons already have stores with pharmacies in the same shopping centers as Rite Aid stores with pharmacies. Remembering how Albertsons closed the standalone Sav-On stores and kept the name alive for their own in-store pharmacies, are we going to see the separate Rite Aid stores eventually disappear? There is a LOT of overlap here as well as in some areas of California.

Thrifty Ice Cream could, however, be kept as a house brand for the grocery stores as it has a good reputation, and when you think about it, a grocery store is a better fit for that.

An Albertsons-Rite Aid combo would make an interesting concept in that Meridian Shopko store that Albertsons is taking over though.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

This is the end of Rite Aid. Albertsons is using this as a back door way to go public. They will keep some stuff that produces but ditch the rest. Mark my words, Rite Aid will be gone in a few years.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

babs wrote: February 20th, 2018, 1:31 pm This is the end of Rite Aid. Albertsons is using this as a back door way to go public. They will keep some stuff that produces but ditch the rest. Mark my words, Rite Aid will be gone in a few years.
Rite Aid isn't going away at all. Not with their taking the name on at all their supermarket pharmacies except Jewel Osco http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html . In many urban areas, Rite Aid has a much larger presence than any Albertsons owned store does. In West Los Angeles, where I live, there are just 3 Albertsons owned pharmacies thinly spread out, one in Santa Monica (Vons) and one in West Hollywood & Culver City (both Pavilions). There's 15 Rite Aid's in the same geographic area (not as many as CVS has).

There are only three Rite Aid's in my area that are in the same shopping center as an Albertsons owned store, also. Only one, Culver City Pavilions with a Rite Aid that shares an adjacent wall with Pavilions, overlaps with both having pharmacies.

The big thing already coming is in-store clinics. This is an area that CVS is already moving forward with in their store locations. I expect Albertsons will really ramp that up with Rite Aid.

One name that is now finally dead with this purchase, though, is Sav-on.
klkla

Post by klkla »

As babs posted up-thread this is really the means for Albertson's to go public after failing to successfully complete an IPO of their own for so long.

The article quoted in the OP says "The combined company is expected to have roughly $14 billion in net debt, according to credit ratings firm Moody's." For their sake let's hope interest rates stay low.

I would expect some closures over time where there are overlapping locations but nothing major. There are a lot of good synergies that can be realized for these companies such as lowering distribution costs and negotiating better deals with suppliers.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

This was the most detailed article I've read on the merger
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/busi ... 47534.html
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

that means you will likely start seeing thrifty ice cream at safeway if this occurs.