Albertsons to buy (what's left of) RiteAid

a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Albertsons to buy (what's left of) RiteAid

Post by a42887 »

jamcool wrote: May 25th, 2018, 7:37 pm We still have several Albertsons-Oscos in Phoenix, the lone outpost of the Osco brand out West.
We still have Albertsons-Oscos in Wyoming.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Shareholder vote scheduled for August 9th
http://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-f ... aid-merger
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 12:40 pm Shareholder vote scheduled for August 9th
http://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-f ... aid-merger
Given that they set a vote, this makes me think they are confident they have the votes to pass this. It is basically up to a few institutional shareholders of Rite Aid whether or not this thing goes through.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like this is their letter to try to convince people to vote for this merger. I agree with everything they say about synergies and operational things. Too bad the price being paid for Rite Aid is laughably low.

Also would be nice if Albertsons had some audited financial statements...

https://riteaid-albertsons.com/letter/R ... -25-18.pdf
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

As a Rite Aid shareholder, I am voting NO.
Until Albertsons starts trading as a public company, there's no value placed on the shares. No one knows how much they are receiving. I've never seen a merger handled like this. I have been in contact with some of the groups opposing the merger. They do have a lot of shares lined up against it but they need at least one major institutional inventor to align with them to block the merger.

Just to be clear, people like myself aren't necessarily against the merger. The issue is that lack of details in the offer. Tell me what I am voting for and I'll decide after the facts are in front of me. I don't have enough facts to evaluate this merger so I will be voting no.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: June 27th, 2018, 9:54 am As a Rite Aid shareholder, I am voting NO.
Until Albertsons starts trading as a public company, there's no value placed on the shares. No one knows how much they are receiving. I've never seen a merger handled like this. I have been in contact with some of the groups opposing the merger. They do have a lot of shares lined up against it but they need at least one major institutional inventor to align with them to block the merger.

Just to be clear, people like myself aren't necessarily against the merger. The issue is that lack of details in the offer. Tell me what I am voting for and I'll decide after the facts are in front of me. I don't have enough facts to evaluate this merger so I will be voting no.
I agree. Storewanderer likes the merger, from the perspective of Storewanderer. But from the perspective of a Rite Aid Shareholder I do not like the merger at all. I also do not really know if I want stock in Albertsons/Safeway or not...

I was disappointed the SEC approved the proxy. It is all up to the institutions at this point... will see how many conclude as Highfields did and publicly state their conclusion. I feel like that could "egg" Albertsons into either a better offer (with what money, though) or somehow more clarity on the offer.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Some closings announced

Post by wnetmacman »

I don't know about your areas, but in my area (South Central Louisiana, or Acadiana fo the locals), Walgreens announced today what will happen to the local Rite Aid stores. There are 7 stores from Lafayette to Morgan City:

Lafayette, 2252 Ambassador Caffrey: Closing July 19 (Walgreens less than a mile away)
Lafayette, 4710 Johnston: Converting to Walgreens
New Iberia, 1108 E Main, Closing July 16 (Walgreens less than a mile away, Winn Dixie recently closed in same center)
New Iberia, 1150 W St. Peter: Converting to Walgreens
Abbeville: Closing by July 21
Bayou Vista: Converting to Walgreens
Morgan City: Closing July 31.

Rite Aid had been scaling back stores before the Mergers/Buyouts. All of these stores (except Bayou Vista and Morgan City) were originally K&B; the others relocated from a K&B but were Rite Aid builds.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This is one strange merger vote. So far they have sent out multiple letters asking me to "vote yes." There have also been phone calls to me by some third parties. Who is paying for this? Is Rite Aid paying for this? What the.... why aren't they spending money trying to drive sales in the stores? They have also sent out multiple proxies (with the same control number)... as if they think that will get a vote change? I don't know.

Most recently they have sent out something about an election for if you want cash+ABS or just ABS stock should the merger go through. Usually that election does not happen until the merger is actually approved by shareholders.

And a major proxy service just issued an analysis yesterday advising against the merger.

Conceptually I like this merger but between the lowball offer price which you can't even measure since it is based upon the value ABS IPOs at (unknown) and these odd tactics with the voting it is leaving a pretty bad taste in my mouth.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Alright folks, I'm going to lock this, and have moved post-merger fallout discussion to a new topic. Thanks for everyone's participation!