Walgreens Resumes Normal Hours

storewanderer

Re: Walgreens Resumes Normal Hours

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 11:59 am The Walgreens I mentioned in the other post reopened yesterday. It's still boarded up but they are letting people in.
Does it close at 5 PM or 3 PM?

How are they securing the facility after closing?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walgreens needs to plaster over all the windows and install thick steel gates.

A Walgreens in Vallejo, California was being looted late at night by 10-12 people in 2 vehicles. One sedan rammed a police car and injured an officer. A criminal who appeared to be running to the sedan "abruptly turned toward the officers, crouching down in a half-kneeling position as if in preparation to shoot, and moving his hands toward his waist area near what appeared to be the butt of a handgun." Police shot the criminal dead. He had an extensive criminal record including attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, and illegal weapons and drugs. The criminal was from San Francisco.

A chase took place after and one person was arrested.

There were advertisements on social media to come to Vallejo to commit looting and crime. Due to the coordinated attacks Monday the National Guard was called into Vallejo on Tuesday. If the attacks are this numerous, the National Guard is what is needed to protect cities. There have been several nights of carjackings, lootings, and an attempt to set the Vallejo City Hall on fire.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Was out this morning on my usual weekly shopping trip and noticed a storage trailer in the parking lot of a local Walgreen's. The back of it was open and looked like it was full of panels of sheetrock so this store must be in the midst of a remodeling. My immediate area hasn't been effected by any unrest (although it's happened in Albany) but I wonder if they're going to implement any kind of safety enhancement/improvements chain-wide when and if a store is remodeled. Oh, and for the record, didn't go inside the store so can't give a first hand account of what exactly is going on.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: June 4th, 2020, 9:49 am Was out this morning on my usual weekly shopping trip and noticed a storage trailer in the parking lot of a local Walgreen's. The back of it was open and looked like it was full of panels of sheetrock so this store must be in the midst of a remodeling. My immediate area hasn't been effected by any unrest (although it's happened in Albany) but I wonder if they're going to implement any kind of safety enhancement/improvements chain-wide when and if a store is remodeled. Oh, and for the record, didn't go inside the store so can't give a first hand account of what exactly is going on.
I did check yesterday, and the only store closed was the one right in downtown Albany (a former Rite Aid on Pearl Street). Not sure if that one was actually damaged (there were issues on Pearl Street, but I seem to remember mentioning south of State, while this store is a few doors north), or if they just closed it for safety (that is, assuming it had been open before this - it might have been on the slow side anyway, since so many of the offices in downtown were closed or working from home with the virus).

They have several other stores in surrounding areas and even within cities and those all showed normal type hours (most until 9 or 10pm).

Was the store you refer to a converted one or one of theirs originally? I know locally they did some work when converting, but it wouldn't be surprising if at some point they did more renovations, since they only had about 5 days closed to do each switch over. Likely due to the short turn around time, they left some odd setups, like one store that had GNC as Rite Aid with an entire rear corner of just vacant space.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 6:49 pm Does it close at 5 PM or 3 PM?

How are they securing the facility after closing?
It closes at 5 PM. They just nail the board back up that covers the door. The store remains boarded up while it's open with just the area covering the door exposed.

Last night they moved the curfew back to 10 PM and things seemed even calmer than the night before. There is no more L.A. County curfew but individual cities may still choose to have one. City of Los Angeles has not announced one for today, yet.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

BillyGr wrote: June 4th, 2020, 10:30 am
TW-Upstate NY wrote: June 4th, 2020, 9:49 am Was out this morning on my usual weekly shopping trip and noticed a storage trailer in the parking lot of a local Walgreen's. The back of it was open and looked like it was full of panels of sheetrock so this store must be in the midst of a remodeling. My immediate area hasn't been effected by any unrest (although it's happened in Albany) but I wonder if they're going to implement any kind of safety enhancement/improvements chain-wide when and if a store is remodeled. Oh, and for the record, didn't go inside the store so can't give a first hand account of what exactly is going on.
Was the store you refer to a converted one or one of theirs originally? I know locally they did some work when converting, but it wouldn't be surprising if at some point they did more renovations, since they only had about 5 days closed to do each switch over. Likely due to the short turn around time, they left some odd setups, like one store that had GNC as Rite Aid with an entire rear corner of just vacant space.
The store I'm referring to is the Amsterdam store along Route 30 across the street from St. Mary's/Memorial Health. It was a Walgreen's new build and opened I'm going to say some time in 2007 or '08. Matter of fact, there was a Rite-Aid a little ways up on the opposite side which was one of their acquired stores but all they did was operate the pharmacy. It was never converted to a full-on Walgreen's and was eventually closed maybe around a year or so ago. I go in this store so infrequently that I can't ever recall if it's even had a remodel since it opened.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walgreens has closed most of their stores in the the Oakland, California area this entire week. I do not know when they will reopen. The few locations that are open are only open 8 am to 3 pm. This is terrible if you have to work a regular job until 5 pm. The stores in the affluent suburbs are 8 to 5. Walgreens is afraid of looting and they are boarding up all stores even during the day except for the door.

CVS seems to be on normal hours, and the remaining Walmart pharmacies seem to be back to normal hours as last week before the riots.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Most Walgreens in the Oakland, California area are still closed and the few that are open close at 3 or 5. Many of the cities in the area still have curfews. CVS is closing at 7 pm now in most cities. No more 24 hours stores at any chain. Rite Aid closes at 7:30.

Most curfews will end soon. Monday should have no curfews in the area. We will see how it changes then.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

I did see in one store (that is not in a city area), they had a computer printed sign that they were closing at 8pm June 3,4,5,6 (but not tonight). When I looked at the website the other day, that wasn't reflected but it makes sense they may not have changed that for such a limited change.

Also, this week they issued no printed ads (the ad was designed and available on the website, just no print copies either in newspapers or the store).

Seems they should have sent at least a couple copies to each store, in case something wasn't ringing correctly. Without a copy in hand, I'm not sure how the employees would be able to confirm and correct that (and it also doesn't help that they don't usually get the tags posted early either, to see which items are actually included in a sale).
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

BillyGr wrote: June 7th, 2020, 11:34 am Also, this week they issued no printed ads (the ad was designed and available on the website, just no print copies either in newspapers or the store).
I live in a more rural area and the ad was in the paper as usual. I would estimate the marketing area for it would cover maybe five stores over approximately 40 miles or so.