Walgreens Flagship In Chicago

Alpha8472

Walgreens Flagship In Chicago

Post by Alpha8472 »

http://www.drugstorenews.com/article/pr ... d-flagship

"Walgreens on Tuesday brought the latest example of its flagship retail pharmacy to life here in Chicago, tantalizing its hometown crowd with departments most shoppers normally wouldn't associate with a pharmacy: a fully stocked sushi bar, quick-and-fresh deli offerings and a self-serve yogurt bar adjacent to a juice bar that, along with the healthy-for-you selection of juice, offers the “double-rich chocolate malted milk” that the retailer invented in 1922."

It looks really interesting. I think it could be described as an upscale pharmacy, mini-supermarket, juice bar, and frozen yogurt bar all in one.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Re: Walgreens Flagship In Chicago

Post by steps »

That Walgreens looks AMAZING! I don't know how I would feel purchasing sushi from a drug store though.
krogerclerk
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by krogerclerk »

The store takes a lot of cues for Duane Reade, the New York City drug store chain Walgreen's acquired back in 2010. This is definitely the most upscale Walgreen's I have seen and is move in the direction that Walgreen's has been going since making the move to freestanding stores at busy intersections began in the late 90's.

This is prototype that could work in cities such as San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Denver where there is an affluent customer base and few options for groceries and consumables in the central business districts.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walgreens has finally caught on to the idea of a good looking store.

People gladly shop at upscale places like Whole Foods Market and Wegmans. Why is that? They offer a great looking store along with gourmet and organic food. People are willing to buy trendy, organic, and gourmet food. They also like good looking stores. Fancy looking supermarkets encourage people to visit the store more often. You feel like you are royalty or high class when you shop at a fancy looking place like Whole Foods or Wegmans.

Shopping at a sterile looking fluorescent light-lit Walgreens doesn't make you want to linger and browse. You just want to get your items and get out of there. However, if the store is fancy and upscale you want to stay and browse. The environment of the store makes you want to stay because it is comfortable and nice.

The era of ugly Kmart style drugstores needs to end. Bring on fancy looking drug stores and you will increase sales. I wonder if CVS noticed the drop in customers once they remodeled Longs Drugs into the ugly CVS decor.