Walgreens purchases Kerr Drug

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Walgreens purchases Kerr Drug

Post by Brian Lutz »

http://www.komonews.com/news/business/W ... 36671.html

Not familiar with Kerr Drug (they're a chain of 75 stores in North Carolina) but the plan is to continue to run them under the Kerr Drug name, at least for the time being.
Alpha8472

Re: Walgreens purchases Kerr Drug

Post by Alpha8472 »

This is terrible news. Walgreens is the worst chain to take over a locally run drug store chain. Walgreens will proceed with their standard cost cutting measures by cutting staff and raising prices.

Walgreens is the worst corporate pharmacy. They have terrible staffing levels and outrageously high prices. You get put on hold for 20-30 minutes just trying to talk to a pharmacist. Seriously, their service is terrible. They are so understaffed that it is dangerous. When you don't have enough staff, there are bound to be medication errors with possibly fatal consequences.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I was going to post that this is terrible news, but was beat to it!

Walgreens is a store I only visit a few times a year. And I struggle to find anything to buy. Drug items priced 2-3 TIMES what the price at Kroger owned stores, Wal Mart, or Target charge. Drug items priced $2-3 more than high priced CVS or Rite Aid. Lousy ad specials. Lousy looking stores. Very poor selection in most categories. Weak private label program. Just, lousy.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote:I was going to post that this is terrible news, but was beat to it!

Walgreens is a store I only visit a few times a year. And I struggle to find anything to buy. Drug items priced 2-3 TIMES what the price at Kroger owned stores, Wal Mart, or Target charge. Drug items priced $2-3 more than high priced CVS or Rite Aid. Lousy ad specials. Lousy looking stores. Very poor selection in most categories. Weak private label program. Just, lousy.
Their prices are terrible compared to CVS. However their store design is better. CVS has a store design stuck in the early 1990s and even it's newest stores look dated compared to Walgreens.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Walgreens over the past few years has improved their decor. Their stores used to be really ugly looking. They used to have ugly blue and white signs for each aisle. The floor tiles were some sort of ugly brown speckled pattern that really looked old fashioned.

The newest Walgreens decor looks like they spent some money to make everything look colorful and easy to apply to old stores. Mostly the decor is just repainting walls with new colors and adding new color coded signs for the aisles. It is pretty low cost, but looks good.

It just shows how a large number of people are easily swayed by the look of a store. Even though the prices are absurd, people still shop at a store that looks newly remodeled.

Walgreens is like a plague. They build new stores on practically every street corner or take over local drug store chains and bring with them high prices and terrible service. I wish that some new pharmacy chain would come along and just put them out of business. I am just asking for a nice looking store with cheap prices and lots of friendly employees giving good customer service. No one seems to be able to deliver on all of these.