Walgreens Close To Buying Rite Aid

Super S

Re: Walgreens Close To Buying Rite Aid

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote:
Super S wrote:I always found it interesting that Albertsons didn't try to resurrect the Osco name in Boise when they tried the standalone Sav-On stores. It was previously associated with Buttrey, but when the Skaggs stores became Osco, Buttrey lost the Osco name.

Noting how quickly the standalone Sav-On stores in Boise vanished, it gives the impression that Albertsons doesn't really want to be in the standalone drug store business...I don't see them taking over Rite Aid. I also don't see them combining where Rite Aid is next to Albertsons or Safeway. Although many examples exist where the stores are side by side, in recent years they have moved or simply closed many of those locations. Some strip mall owners have the final say in what they could do not to mention local zoning laws.
Buttery lost the Osco name because in 1990, American Stores (which owned the Osco name at the time), spun off the chain. It wasn't related to the purchase of American Stores in 1999.
I was actually talking about the mid-1980s. In Boise, in a period of only a couple years in the mid-1980s, the Skaggs stores were renamed Osco. All of the Buttrey stores in Boise and the rest of Idaho received all new signage as the Osco name basically shifted from Buttrey to the Skaggs stores. Worth noting is that I remember visiting a Buttrey in Casper, Wyoming during this time and saw that the Osco name was also gone there as well. I thought that the Osco name disappeared from the Buttrey stores altogether at that point.

The Skaggs stores that became Osco eventually became PayLess, while Albertsons took over the remaining Buttrey stores in Boise. This had all happened by 1988 when I moved from Boise.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Not so fast, doubters:

Drugstore stocks are surging right now

it aooears that the SEC may be having a change of heart, and might just approve the deal.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

I think you meant to say the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), not the SEC.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

wnetmacman wrote:Not so fast, doubters:

Drugstore stocks are surging right now

it aooears that the SEC may be having a change of heart, and might just approve the deal.
Most don't think much of that report.
Thursday looks like the day the decision will be made. http://nypost.com/2017/06/26/skepticism ... -aid-deal/
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

The latest I am reading is Walgreen's acquiring 2,156 stores and three distribution centers of Rite Aid.

The deal with Fred's, a struggling dollar retailer, is obviously dead.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Apparently the Walgreens-Rite Aid merger is kaput
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote:Apparently the Walgreens-Rite Aid merger is kaput
The merger is, but Walgreens is still buying 1/2 of Rite Aid's stores.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

arizonaguy wrote:
Probably what I thought would happen (many pages ago), Walgreens still ends up buying a lot of stores but the Rite Aid name and independence lives on. Where specifically is Walgreens buying up the stores, and where is Rite Aid still living on another day?
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

pseudo3d wrote:
arizonaguy wrote:
Probably what I thought would happen (many pages ago), Walgreens still ends up buying a lot of stores but the Rite Aid name and independence lives on. Where specifically is Walgreens buying up the stores, and where is Rite Aid still living on another day?
Rite Aid, which had nearly 4,600 stores in the United States as of May, said the stores to be sold are mainly in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Southeast. The deal also includes distribution centers in Connecticut, Philadelphia and South Carolina. - Reuters
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Found an article which describes what would be left of Rite Aid
http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/06/he ... gling.html
Company officials laid out a map that shows Rite Aid as a "bi-regional company," with 577 stores in California and a total of 799 store in five western states.
Rite also would remain a major drug store player in the east and Midwest, with 535 stores in Pennsylvania alone, and more than 200 each in Ohio and Michigan. The company's other key east coast states would be New York, New Jersey and Virginia.