Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Macy's announces new round of closings

Post by CalItalian » January 10th, 2018, 11:34 pm

klkla wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 6:11 pm
CalItalian wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 12:53 am
The Pavilions, at the time, was quite nice and large (and had business). It had a pharmacy, too. No other Vons or later Pavilions had a pharmacy at that time until the Pavilions Culver City and later Vons Santa Monica (rebuild after the '94 earthquake destroyed the Safeway) each opened with a pharmacy. It was rebranded as a Pavilions just shortly after the Pavilions chain was started.
It depends on what your definition of 'had business' is. I worked for the company at that time and it was averaging around $250K a week which was subpar, especially considering how expensive the rent was. I don't think the store ever made a profit as a Vons or Pavilions.

Almost all original Pavilions had pharmacies in 1988 when they took over Safeway. Even some of the Pavilions Places already had pharmacies at that time.

The new store in Santa Monica had been planned for years before the Northridge earthquake. They had to buy out other property owners on the block. The original store was in the 10,000 sq. ft. range and was built in the 1940's.
The Vons stores on the Westside, which are still small, do not have pharmacies to this day with the exception of three: the Vons on Broadway in Santa Monica (which was not in the Safeway it replaced), Pavilions in Culver City and more recently the rebuilt Pavilions in West Hollywood (which didn't as a Safeway). The Pavilions on Wilshire & Stoner, now closed, also had a pharmacy and of all Vons locations I have ever been in had the least business by far. The Westside Pavilion was required to give below market rent for Vons - actually the same rent they paid at the location that was torn down. I know, I was at the city meeting when this agreed upon in 1982. That was one of the requirements to build the mall.

klkla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by klkla » January 11th, 2018, 1:49 pm

CalItalian wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 11:34 pm
The Vons stores on the Westside, which are still small, do not have pharmacies to this day with the exception of three: the Vons on Broadway in Santa Monica (which was not in the Safeway it replaced), Pavilions in Culver City and more recently the rebuilt Pavilions in West Hollywood (which didn't as a Safeway). The Pavilions on Wilshire & Stoner, now closed, also had a pharmacy and of all Vons locations I have ever been in had the least business by far.
The West Hollywood Safeway absolutley had a pharmacy. It opened in 1985 and was in fact the most profitable pharmacy in the division (because it was mostly cash transactions and not reliant on insurance companies).

Wilshire & Stoner store and West Pavilion were about the same in sales. I used to see the report every week. Wilshire/Stoner had a lower customer count but much higher average transaction amount. Both stores ultimately failed for the same reason: parking.

CalItalian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by CalItalian » January 13th, 2018, 12:07 am

klkla wrote:
January 11th, 2018, 1:49 pm
CalItalian wrote:
January 10th, 2018, 11:34 pm
The Vons stores on the Westside, which are still small, do not have pharmacies to this day with the exception of three: the Vons on Broadway in Santa Monica (which was not in the Safeway it replaced), Pavilions in Culver City and more recently the rebuilt Pavilions in West Hollywood (which didn't as a Safeway). The Pavilions on Wilshire & Stoner, now closed, also had a pharmacy and of all Vons locations I have ever been in had the least business by far.
The West Hollywood Safeway absolutley had a pharmacy. It opened in 1985 and was in fact the most profitable pharmacy in the division (because it was mostly cash transactions and not reliant on insurance companies).

Wilshire & Stoner store and West Pavilion were about the same in sales. I used to see the report every week. Wilshire/Stoner had a lower customer count but much higher average transaction amount. Both stores ultimately failed for the same reason: parking.
Not a chance on the Wilshire and Stoner Pavilions having the same sales at the Westside Pavilion Pavilions. For over 2 years, there was NEVER - and I mean NEVER not at any time of any day - more than one checkout lane open at the Wilshire and Stoner location before it closed. That never happened to the Westside Pavilions location.

As for the West Hollywood Safeway, the store opened well before 1985. It was enlarged at that point and became a Pavilions Place after Vons took it over.

CalItalian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by CalItalian » January 13th, 2018, 12:33 am

For the record, the Westside Pavilion Macy's Furniture Store is NOT closing. Although the mall is up for sale, rumored to be closing, will be without any anchor stores and the adjacent Macy's is already liquidating, the furniture store is staying open.

klkla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by klkla » January 13th, 2018, 4:04 pm

CalItalian wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 12:07 am
Not a chance on the Wilshire and Stoner Pavilions having the same sales at the Westside Pavilion Pavilions. For over 2 years, there was NEVER - and I mean NEVER not at any time of any day - more than one checkout lane open at the Wilshire and Stoner location before it closed. That never happened to the Westside Pavilions location.
I saw the numbers on a regular basis. You didn't.
CalItalian wrote:
January 13th, 2018, 12:07 am

As for the West Hollywood Safeway, the store opened well before 1985. It was enlarged at that point and became a Pavilions Place after Vons took it over.
West Hollywood has had a pharmacy for 33 years.