New Kmart opens in part of Sears space

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Re: New Kmart opens in part of Sears space

Post by Super S »

Mycrossover wrote: July 14th, 2018, 11:30 am The announced plan is to work it both ways, with Sears in K Mart and K Mart in Sears. I think this is a text book example of re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I agree. They have already tried Sears at Kmart...Diehard batteries, Craftsman tools, and Kenmore appliances. The time to experiment with combining the brands was back when the two brands first came together and still had respectable store counts. Not when sales are falling off a cliff and the Kmart brand has already disappeared from some states because all of the stores that have closed.

Major store renovations are necessary at this point to make anything work. More so with Kmart. I just don't see it happening.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

All they are doing is closing stores. And rapidly, at that, the past couple years. It seems like they are closing them down, as fast as they possibly can close them. The economy is great right now and real estate values have increased so this is prime time to give up properties to other users. Even though retail is in a bit of a hole lately, there are still retailers out there who are expanding and taking real estate.

I suspect had the lousy economy in the mid 00's not have happened that pushed real estate down so much, we would have seen this rapid closure pace a decade ago. The past decade has been a holding pattern but the end of the road has come.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

LOL Well our mall had both Kmart and Sears, in the same mall, at opposite ends. Now, Sears was built on almost 10 years later, and it was before the merger, but still. The Kmart closed earlier this year because the lease was up. If our Sears is on a 20 year lease I expect it to close next year. If it's 25 I doubt it will still be open anyway.