Kmart's Time Is Running Out

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kmart's Time Is Running Out

Post by SamSpade »

SamSpade wrote:With the closure of West Valley City, Utah, that leaves KMart with 5 Utah stores, only 2 of which are in the Wasatch Front, where 80% of the state's population resides. Layton might be the last one to close since it's adjacent and visible from I-15, plus a military town for those out of staters that for whatever reason know and prefer KMart to other competition (Walmart, ShopKo, Smith's Marketplace).

This reminds me a bit of Oregon, where we have 3 remaining locations in the Portland metropolitan area (4 if you count Salem).
So, no Oregon stores made the latest KMart list, but Layton and Vernal, Utah did. Vernal's store was likely hurting from the oil bust and the lease expiring. Not sure why Layton is being shuttered.

This leaves Utah with 3 KMart stores, one in St. George (north of Las Vegas, NV), one in Utah County (Spanish Fork) and one in Salt Lake County (Salt Lake City - 900 East).
The store in Spanish Fork is adjacent to Walmart. The store in Salt Lake City is across the street from Walmart.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

i see kmart liquidating the remainder of the stores by the end of the year. eddie lampert has no interest in salvaging kmart.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

reymann wrote:i see kmart liquidating the remainder of the stores by the end of the year. eddie lampert has no interest in salvaging kmart.
I do too.

The chain is far beyond saving.
Super S

Post by Super S »

reymann wrote:i see kmart liquidating the remainder of the stores by the end of the year. eddie lampert has no interest in salvaging kmart.
Lampert is more interested in the value of the real estate than he is in operating stores, and doesn't have a clue what he is doing in retail. This is evident in the lack of maintenance and upkeep in the stores.

I predict Kmart will go first, and some kind of announcement will be made about "focusing on Sears" then what's left will either be closed or sold. Sears is the better of the two brands at this point, and that isn't really saying much.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

And now the fat lady is getting warmed up...Sears is selling the Craftsman business to Stanley/Black & Decker
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

i think once kenmore is sold off, lampert will announce liquidation of kmart and he might try to sell sears to private equity for real estate purposes
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

That's not good. Kmart is a goner for sure, maybe Sears can pull out, maybe. Not optimistic, unfortunately. I don't really want to keep following this post. :(
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

jamcool wrote:And now the fat lady is getting warmed up...Sears is selling the Craftsman business to Stanley/Black & Decker
Right now, SHC is announcing store closings with extreme regularity. Every 4-5 months, another group is out. This is like Celebrity Apprentice; you just don't know who's going next.

If SHC sells Kenmore, they're done. I don't think Die Hard is as strong of a brand as it once was, and it can't generate the buyer as Craftsman did, though I could see AutoZone or O'Reilly wanting them. I could see Whirlpool scooping up Kenmore in a heartbeat; they've made them for many years anyway.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think Lampert has some involvement in Auto Zone, I have been surprised they have not taken Die Hard yet.

The Craftsman and Die Hard areas of the Kmart in my area are so poor and understocked, dirty, and disorganized... there is no pride left in this operation anymore. You would think they would make a better effort to push their brands...
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I have to tell you that Kenmore is not what it used to be.

Even with Consumer Reports mostly favorable ratings, I was angrily disappointed.

From coffee maker to vacuum cleaner, I am so pissed off. I should have known better!

Performance - fail
Quality - fail
Service - fail
Parts (access) - fail
Repair - fail
Telephone and internet support - fail

And of course hardly any stores left as a back up for any issues!