Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2017

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Re: Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2017

Post by Super S »

Was talking to a friend of mine tonight who lives in Puyallup, and he informed me that Sears quietly closed the Auto Center at that location sometime in the last few months. (It didn't make any list) Apparently he found out when a DieHard battery he purchased earlier this year failed, and he ended up having to drive to Tacoma Mall to warranty it.

This is something that sometimes happens right before a store closing announcement...wonder how many others have closed this way with no announcement.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Knight wrote: December 26th, 2017, 9:52 am As Christmas has passed, I wonder if that Kmart store and others will replenish, or if additional inventory including clothing will be marked on clearance. I do not know if it is early to tell if Sears Holdings produced sales leading up to Christmas.
For what it's worth, the Sears at Memorial City Mall a few days before Christmas had a surprising number of people milling around the store. :roll:
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Super S wrote: December 26th, 2017, 10:12 pm Was talking to a friend of mine tonight who lives in Puyallup, and he informed me that Sears quietly closed the Auto Center at that location sometime in the last few months. (It didn't make any list) Apparently he found out when a DieHard battery he purchased earlier this year failed, and he ended up having to drive to Tacoma Mall to warranty it.

This is something that sometimes happens right before a store closing announcement...wonder how many others have closed this way with no announcement.
If a Sears or a Kmart is closing, the first to close would be a Sears Auto Center or a Kmart Pharmacy.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

pseudo3d wrote: December 26th, 2017, 10:15 pm For what it's worth, the Sears at Memorial City Mall a few days before Christmas had a surprising number of people milling around the store. :roll:
Customers were visiting Sears #1067 perhaps for the final time if it is closing.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Knight wrote: December 27th, 2017, 8:09 am
Super S wrote: December 26th, 2017, 10:12 pm Was talking to a friend of mine tonight who lives in Puyallup, and he informed me that Sears quietly closed the Auto Center at that location sometime in the last few months. (It didn't make any list) Apparently he found out when a DieHard battery he purchased earlier this year failed, and he ended up having to drive to Tacoma Mall to warranty it.

If a Sears or a Kmart is closing, the first to close would be a Sears Auto Center or a Kmart Pharmacy.
True. The Kelso store closed the Auto Center before the main store closed. However, it doesn't necessarily guarantee the main store will close. Several recent closures involved only the Auto Center. Plus, there are MANY Kmarts with closed Auto Centers.

There seems though to be a handful of stores that close every year without making any of the big closure lists, and sometimes not even making a local news story.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Sears that have had adjacent Sears Auto Center stores close have closed or are in the process of closing.

Sears #2305, Anderson Mall, 3101 North Main Street, Anderson, South Carolina 29621-2764, is in the process of closing. Sears Auto Center #6158 closed in July. Sears #2305's closing has not made the news yet.

Kmart had a partnership with Penske for Penske Auto Centers in Kmart discount department stores and Super Kmart Center hypermarkets. That partnership ended around 2000. Penske Auto Center locations closed.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Super S wrote: December 27th, 2017, 10:12 am

[/quote]

True. The Kelso store closed the Auto Center before the main store closed. However, it doesn't necessarily guarantee the main store will close. Several recent closures involved only the Auto Center. Plus, there are MANY Kmarts with closed Auto Centers.

[/quote]

I think there have been a few instances of the auto center remaining, despite the main store closing.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I started a new thread for 2018. It's a safe bet that this story is not over yet.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

I'll close this topic as we move into 2018.