Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2017

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Re: Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2017

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: October 1st, 2017, 10:33 pm I see Kmart now has a few Essential Everyday (Supervalu) grocery items: dry beans, dry rice, can beans, powder sugar, and brown sugar.

They have a good number of "Smart Sense" food items as well such as coffee, nuts, candy, spices, and various other items, most of which I do not remember being present at the Kmart in my area before it closed down, but it was so poorly stocked and behind on resets, that doesn't mean much.

Still there are other packer/filler generic type items elsewhere in grocery such as cereal, white sugar, and some other categories which escape me.

Numerous out of stocks throughout hardlines and health/beauty/cosmetics. I think the end for Kmart is very near.
I have seen this occurring in other areas, not just the grocery aisles.

It's not a good sign when random private brands or other items are brought in to fill shelf space. Especially where it uses space in other areas that were once well stocked with other items such as televisions or automotive items.

Don't even get me started on how you can clearly identify the many former Kmart restaurant/cafe spaces which are now occupied by "filler" items....
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: October 1st, 2017, 10:33 pm I see Kmart now has a few Essential Everyday (Supervalu) grocery items: dry beans, dry rice, can beans, powder sugar, and brown sugar.

They have a good number of "Smart Sense" food items as well such as coffee, nuts, candy, spices, and various other items, most of which I do not remember being present at the Kmart in my area before it closed down, but it was so poorly stocked and behind on resets, that doesn't mean much.

Still there are other packer/filler generic type items elsewhere in grocery such as cereal, white sugar, and some other categories which escape me.

Numerous out of stocks throughout hardlines and health/beauty/cosmetics. I think the end for Kmart is very near.
I would suspect this may be happening because it's no longer feasible to keep Smart Sense going with 500 stores. It wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Super S wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 9:34 am I have seen this occurring in other areas, not just the grocery aisles.

It's not a good sign when random private brands or other items are brought in to fill shelf space. Especially where it uses space in other areas that were once well stocked with other items such as televisions or automotive items.

Don't even get me started on how you can clearly identify the many former Kmart restaurant/cafe spaces which are now occupied by "filler" items....
Since I now have to drive at least an hour to get to either Kmart OR Sears, I cannot comment on what is happening daily. I do know, however, that Kmart is becoming more like Big Lots every day, and not in the good way. I cannot see them continuing on this course much longer.
Super S

Post by Super S »

wnetmacman wrote: October 2nd, 2017, 10:36 am
Since I now have to drive at least an hour to get to either Kmart OR Sears, I cannot comment on what is happening daily. I do know, however, that Kmart is becoming more like Big Lots every day, and not in the good way. I cannot see them continuing on this course much longer.
I am in the same boat, unless you count the Sears Hometown store near me. I do occasionally pop in to the stores if I am near one but will not make a special trip to visit a Kmart or Sears.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Lampert is loaning Sears even more money....

http://nypost.com/2017/10/05/sears-gets ... ay-season/

The money sure isn't going into the store experience. Lampert really has no clue.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I read somewhere the Interest rate on this money is 11%.

Not sure if that is true or not.

Nice Interest rate for the lender.

One sided transactions are interesting when you control the company and Board, and you are loaning money to the company...
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

i think kmart is likely toast after the holidays. i think they will announce liquidation of kmart after the new year and sears will file bankruptcy.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

reymann wrote: October 6th, 2017, 7:39 am i think kmart is likely toast after the holidays. i think they will announce liquidation of kmart after the new year and sears will file bankruptcy.
We've all been saying this for many years, and somehow Lampert is keeping it alive. He has deep pockets and many investor friends looking to lose a buck over something like this for the tax writeoff. It could go on for a few more years.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

The Kmart in Santa Rosa (CA) burned down this morning. I'd be surprised if they bothered to rebuild or replace it
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Redevelopment drawings had already been shown to the City to split the Santa Rosa location up into a few medium box tenants. Sears spokesperson denied they were closing the store.

Now we will see what happens...

Very bad fires.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: October 9th, 2017, 2:18 pm Redevelopment drawings had already been shown to the City to split the Santa Rosa location up into a few medium box tenants. Sears spokesperson denied they were closing the store.

Now we will see what happens...

Very bad fires.
It will depend on the insurance as well as how much business the store has. I seem to remember reading that there was a partial roof collapse there a few years ago but it reopened. after repairs. I am not 100% sure though.