Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2017

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2017

Post by BatteryMill »

mbz321 wrote: I'm pretty sure Sears/Kmart has been cutting back on electronics in the last couple years. The last time I was at a Sears store, all they had was a couple aisles of accessories like headphones and such, and a few dated clearance TV's. The local Kmart stores have virtually nothing left and have shoved mattresses and appliances and other crap into the Electronics department.
From what I've heard, I remember Kmart (not sure Sears really sold these) cutting off video games completely around two years ago. I do also know how they've tried to align these stores with Sears a ton, it even reminds me of the Sears Outlet thing going on.
marshd1000 wrote:Another Kmart bites the dust! Goodbye Tacoma!

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/busi ... 32904.html
Need I say more? Kmart may be about to close, it seems. Any morning you may wake up or come home in the afternoon to that some sort of news by now.
TW-Upstate NY wrote:Recent photo I found on Google of the Colonie Center Store:
Saddening for such a Sears to be closed so soon. Sears has especially been getting ruthless with closures, taking this nice store and claiming the very first Kmart as well. What is even going on?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

BatteryMill wrote:...Saddening for such a Sears to be closed so soon. Sears has especially been getting ruthless with closures, taking this nice store and claiming the very first Kmart as well. What is even going on?
I guess company history is unimportant when the company is close to being history.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I visited the closing Kmart in Sparks, NV tonight. They are adding a ton of merchandise to the store. The store hasn't been so full of product in years. Many pallets of appliances, ready to assemble furniture, garden sets, etc. have been shipped into the store since last week. The liquidator also brought in many pallets of soda and other items to display around the front of the store. Most of those items are 20-50% off the (very high) regular prices.

The men's clothing area is overflowing with more sports clothing than I've ever seen there before. The area is too full so the center aisles around mens and shoes are now filled with these items. They are 25% off some rather high retail prices.

There are also about 8 pallets of new clothing items waiting to be unpacked in the back corner of men's. These boxes all say "DEAL FLASH" and the shipping addresses on the boxes are all to a Sears distribution center in Ontario, CA. Kmart's distribution is in Mira Loma, CA so it appears they are using Kmart closing sales to dump off goods from both Sears and Kmart.

Signage posted shows "DEAL FLASH" items are excluded from liquidation sale discounts. This does not seem to be consistent with the liquidator signs that say entire store on sale, percent off everything, etc. The "DEAL FLASH" items also have something about "compare our price to Amazon.com."
Super S

Post by Super S »

marshd1000 wrote:Another Kmart bites the dust! Goodbye Tacoma!

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/busi ... 32904.html
I visited that Kmart about 2 years ago. It was a real dump then....probably even worse now. Tacoma seems to have some rough looking stores in general.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

They just announced 43 more store closings:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 459363001/
Super S

Post by Super S »

arizonaguy wrote:They just announced 43 more store closings:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 459363001/
This year, they sure seem to be ramping up the closings. I think we are getting to a point where both Kmart and Sears will soon be disappearing altogether from some markets.

I am going to be needing to buy a new riding lawn mower soon to replace my 13 year old Craftsman. The parts and service centers have been pretty much wiped out and Sears tends to really stick it to you with their shipping charges. I have had to order parts a couple times and while they did arrive promptly, I felt that they were a bit pricey. Given the current state of Sears, and the yet unkown direction of Stanley/Black and Decker ownership, I won't be buying another Craftsman.

People are going to become leery of the Craftsman name as well as Kenmore and others even if Sears sells them.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

Kenmore major appliances usually are made by Whirlpool (and have been for decades-Sears basically put them in business), with some made by Electrolux (usually Frigidaire)--it's not difficult to figure out who makes them and parts are readily available via the other brands. Their vaccuums were made by Panasonic until recently--Panasonic has been exiting small appliances in the US. As long as you know who makes their products, you probably can benefit from buying their products at deep discounts. I've only ever bought Craftsman hand tools--the power tools have never been exceptional.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Most of the stores closing are Kmarts, including the Northern/I 17 store. This means there are only a couple stores left in the PHX area
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote:Most of the stores closing are Kmarts, including the Northern/I 17 store. This means there are only a couple stores left in the PHX area
That store never stood a chance with the new Walmart Supercenter being built at MetroCenter 1 mile north.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

With that latest closure list, KMart will officially exit Utah's Wasatch Front, where 80% of the state's population lives.
The only remaining KMart in Utah will be in St. George, where the chain is leaving Red Cliffs Mall's Sears store.