Target debuts new store designs to launch in October

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
HelloOutThere
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Target debuts new store designs to launch in October

Post by HelloOutThere »

http://us.fashionnetwork.com/news/Targe ... NK72m_yuUk

Highlights:

- The new design will include two entrances, one of which will be for quick shopping, curved, circular center aisles, and cross merchandise presentations.

- The second entrance will lead directly to the grocery and wine and beer shops, and it will house self-checkout lanes and an order pickup counter.

- The 124,000-square-foot Houston store will be the first of 40 stores to feature the new design. Target invested billions of dollars to redesign its 500 stores over the next three years and open the additional 40 stores.

I thought Target just invested a bunch of money in a store concept they were testing in Southern California? The redesign described in this article sounds much more intricate.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Target debuts new store designs to launch in October

Post by Brian Lutz »

It seems to me that Target tends to remodel stores a lot more frequently than many of their competitors do. I can't see how useful it will be around here since stores with multiple entrances seem to be the exception more than the rule, and under the standard PFresh design those stores tend to stick the grocery sections farthest from the entrance.

If they intend to add second entrances to the stores that is going to be tricky too since they tend to stick things like the Pharmacy department in the areas where second entrances might go.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Brian Lutz wrote:It seems to me that Target tends to remodel stores a lot more frequently than many of their competitors do. I can't see how useful it will be around here since stores with multiple entrances seem to be the exception more than the rule, and under the standard PFresh design those stores tend to stick the grocery sections farthest from the entrance.

If they intend to add second entrances to the stores that is going to be tricky too since they tend to stick things like the Pharmacy department in the areas where second entrances might go.
Adding second entrances might be tricky just from a LP standpoint. If I recall correctly, even the stores with two entrances aren't truly two entrances, I seem to remember the Memorial City Mall Target had essentially a blank corridor (the café was there) linking its two entrances with only one "store" entrance", or at least that's how I remember it. Besides, Target's redesign does nothing to address more pressing problems like merchandise mix or operations.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

HelloOutThere wrote:http://us.fashionnetwork.com/news/Targe ... NK72m_yuUk

Highlights:

- The new design will include two entrances, one of which will be for quick shopping, curved, circular center aisles, and cross merchandise presentations.

- The second entrance will lead directly to the grocery and wine and beer shops, and it will house self-checkout lanes and an order pickup counter.

- The 124,000-square-foot Houston store will be the first of 40 stores to feature the new design. Target invested billions of dollars to redesign its 500 stores over the next three years and open the additional 40 stores.

I thought Target just invested a bunch of money in a store concept they were testing in Southern California? The redesign described in this article sounds much more intricate.
They remodeled most of the Los Angeles area stores and it's not going well for them. Their stores have fewer people in them than I've ever seen. I was in the Torrance location on Monday. At 5 PM, there was nobody at guest services, all 4 self-checkouts were full with 1 person waiting, not one of the cashiers had more than a customer and a customer waiting (or nobody in line). I've seen this repeated throughout the Los Angeles area recently. I doesn't feel like they've done anything radically different with the remodels.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

pseudo3d wrote:
Brian Lutz wrote:It seems to me that Target tends to remodel stores a lot more frequently than many of their competitors do. I can't see how useful it will be around here since stores with multiple entrances seem to be the exception more than the rule, and under the standard PFresh design those stores tend to stick the grocery sections farthest from the entrance.

Adding second entrances might be tricky just from a LP standpoint. If I recall correctly, even the stores with two entrances aren't truly two entrances, I seem to remember the Memorial City Mall Target had essentially a blank corridor (the café was there) linking its two entrances with only one "store" entrance", or at least that's how I remember it. Besides, Target's redesign does nothing to address more pressing problems like merchandise mix or operations.
Redondo Beach, California Target has two entrances - one on either side of the front of the store (this was a Target Greatland). There are self-checkouts available on each side of the store, too. Westwood Village Los Angeles (City Target) also has two entrances, one to the front, one to the parking garage. West Hollywood, CA Target has an entrance to the parking garage and an entrance to the street.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

The stores that do have two entrances seem to be either Super Target stores (which we don't have any of in WA) or stores built as Target Greatland stores back in the mid to late 90s. In general single entrance stores seem much more common though, although Target has shown a willingness to do significant structural work in their regular remodels.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Brian Lutz wrote:The stores that do have two entrances seem to be either Super Target stores (which we don't have any of in WA) or stores built as Target Greatland stores back in the mid to late 90s. In general single entrance stores seem much more common though, although Target has shown a willingness to do significant structural work in their regular remodels.
The only two entrance Target stores I have seen are the ones located in malls. Most of which have the mall entrance by the main registers, although Mall 205 does have its own set of mall registers.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

The second door could be a good idea if the point is to highlight grocery. Target actually has a pretty complete grocery selection outside of meat, service deli and bakery. Part of the issue is that it's an afterthought, hiding out in the back of the stores. If you put it up front with a really attractive display of produce, it could reinvigorate the department. My guess is that they probably wanted to do that but the apparel folks complained about being moved to another less desirable part of the store, so they addressed it by having two entrances. It's certainly worth testing.
klkla

Post by klkla »

babs wrote:The second door could be a good idea if the point is to highlight grocery. Target actually has a pretty complete grocery selection outside of meat, service deli and bakery. Part of the issue is that it's an afterthought, hiding out in the back of the stores. If you put it up front with a really attractive display of produce, it could reinvigorate the department. My guess is that they probably wanted to do that but the apparel folks complained about being moved to another less desirable part of the store, so they addressed it by having two entrances. It's certainly worth testing.
I agree. The apparel folks have to realize that people shop for clothing less frequently than they shop for groceries. Putting groceries up front will likely result in an increase in traffic and if they do cross-merchandising well it could yield good results.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

None of the remodeled stores in Los Angeles significantly moved any departments (customer service area was the biggest change). Grocery is still in the back of most stores. Manhattan Beach, it's always been on the right front of the store and still is. But in Redondo Beach, behind the South Bay Galleria mall, not only is the entire Target on the second floor above the garage but the grocery department is in the far left side of the store from the escalators and elevator.