Sears to stop selling Whirlpool

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sears to stop selling Whirlpool

Post by wnetmacman »

From multiple outlets this morning: Sears will no longer sell Whirlpool appliances. There appears to have been a price issue with the companies, and it couldn't be settled. Stores will sell off the remaining stock.

A sad end for a long relationship, and the former supplier of all things Kenmore. Wonder if this is the nail in the coffin?
Super S

Re: Sears to stop selling Whirlpool

Post by Super S »

Does this include Kenmore products made by Whirlpool or just the Whirlpool brand?

I personally have had bad luck with their appliances and will not buy them even though I have family members that work at Whirlpool plants.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Super S wrote: October 24th, 2017, 8:19 am Does this include Kenmore products made by Whirlpool or just the Whirlpool brand?

I personally have had bad luck with their appliances and will not buy them even though I have family members that work at Whirlpool plants.
Sears started shifting production away from Whirlpool a while back. LG, Samsung and GE, among others, have picked up the load. Whirlpool was a good brand for a very long time, and they own a lot of names, including Maytag, Roper, Crosley and others. It is nearly impossible unless you buy one of the 3 brands listed to avoid them otherwise.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Several models of the lower-end Kenmore washer and dryers are still Whirlpool clones. I guess we will see those go away soon, much like Sears itself.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Now the Whirlpool CEO has responded:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/10/24/whi ... le-up.html

Seems the Sears business has dropped off over time, much like the retailer's sales have.

I smell death....
Super S

Post by Super S »

And in the articles, they are referring once again to Sears customers as "members" which illustrates one of the many reasons why Sears/Kmart is so out of touch with reality.

It is worth noting that Whirlpool's brands are notably absent from JCPenney's revived appliance departments.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Super S wrote: October 24th, 2017, 9:07 pm And in the articles, they are referring once again to Sears customers as "members" which illustrates one of the many reasons why Sears/Kmart is so out of touch with reality.
Exactly. In my case, my 'membership' causes me to have to drive 60 miles at a minimum. I have Lowe's and Home Depot within 4. Guess who gets my business.
Super S wrote: October 24th, 2017, 9:07 pmIt is worth noting that Whirlpool's brands are notably absent from JCPenney's revived appliance departments.
True, however the two I named above and Best Buy have them en masse. I don't think they're the problem, Lampertsears is. When you crap in the bathroom, and you believe it doesn't stink, you're the problem. When you refuse to spray, you're a moron.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Lampert bought Sears and Kmart to dismantle and sell off the good stuff for a profit. He's almost out of the good stuff. Nobody wants Die Hard and Kenmore, because they have long been rebadged from other good brands; Sears never manufactured themselves on these. The real estate is getting pretty dry. All he has left are a bunch of highly underperforming big boxes that are costing more in rent than they're bringing in in a month.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

wnetmacman wrote: October 25th, 2017, 6:27 am
Super S wrote: October 24th, 2017, 9:07 pm And in the articles, they are referring once again to Sears customers as "members" which illustrates one of the many reasons why Sears/Kmart is so out of touch with reality.
Exactly. In my case, my 'membership' causes me to have to drive 60 miles at a minimum. I have Lowe's and Home Depot within 4. Guess who gets my business.
Super S wrote: October 24th, 2017, 9:07 pmIt is worth noting that Whirlpool's brands are notably absent from JCPenney's revived appliance departments.
True, however the two I named above and Best Buy have them en masse. I don't think they're the problem, Lampertsears is. When you crap in the bathroom, and you believe it doesn't stink, you're the problem. When you refuse to spray, you're a moron.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Lampert bought Sears and Kmart to dismantle and sell off the good stuff for a profit. He's almost out of the good stuff. Nobody wants Die Hard and Kenmore, because they have long been rebadged from other good brands; Sears never manufactured themselves on these. The real estate is getting pretty dry. All he has left are a bunch of highly underperforming big boxes that are costing more in rent than they're bringing in in a month.
I recently went to the Store Closing sale at my local Kmart. The pricing wasn't any better than what I could find at a Walmart or Target closer to my house (even with the "sale" discounts).

I also recently went to a Sears. Besides the fact that the store was fairly disorganized, I was hassled by someone there to sign up for a chance to win a Sears Vacations sweepstakes. I just wanted to browse through the store and that experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

As bad as it would be for malls that are on the brink of closure, I'm not even sure Sears generates much business anymore. There's nothing I can't get somewhere else (Home Depot, Kohl's, Lowe's, Target, or Walmart). JC Penney at least gives the appearance of being a somewhat viable chain. Sears is a dead chain walking.
Super S

Post by Super S »

There also appears to be some confusion about the Sears Hometown stores. I have seen several posts that indicate that the Hometown stores are not affected by this. I have also seen a few which say that they are. I know the Hometown stores are independently operated but I am not sure who to believe here.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Super S wrote: October 25th, 2017, 9:40 am There also appears to be some confusion about the Sears Hometown stores. I have seen several posts that indicate that the Hometown stores are not affected by this. I have also seen a few which say that they are. I know the Hometown stores are independently operated but I am not sure who to believe here.
While all of the Hometown stores are independently operated, Sears controls their supply channel. If Sears is affected, Sears Hometown is affected. An independent Hometown store may be able to buy direct from Whirlpool, but they aren't going to beat pricing at Lowe's or any other large chain.