Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2018

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
pseudo3d

Re: Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2018

Post by pseudo3d »

Rumor is my hometown's Sears will close before the end of the year (so there might be a third round coming), but I don't know for sure if it's Sears since the JCPenney is looking pretty rough too.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

the sears in fresno is getting ready to downsize with the north part of the store being leased out and the auto center portion being put up for lease. i think this sears store is heading for closure once the lease is up with manchester center trying to attract new tenants.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

So who thinks Sears will make it to 2020?
The chain isn't sustainable.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote: August 21st, 2018, 10:03 pm Rumor is my hometown's Sears will close before the end of the year (so there might be a third round coming), but I don't know for sure if it's Sears since the JCPenney is looking pretty rough too.
Your rumor is confirmed:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.wcvb.com ... 8/22804579
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

the clovis store is on the chopping block. the only one remaining in the san joaquin valley will be visalia. shaw ave is gonna look really bare by the end of this year.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Portland loses another K-Mart, Gresham.
That lot will quickly fall into decay... or hopefully re-development. It is steps from the MAX Blue Line, a sea of parking, no other stores. . .

I don't understand why the KMart in Beaverton on Murray Blvd. persists!
3 left in the state -
Beaverton (Portland suburb)
The Dalles, removed from any other retail, except Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart
Corvallis, removed from any other retail except Bi-Mart

What's the story on that small store in Los Angeles? Seems to be a thriving retail district with a Whole Foods in the same lot.

Sears has officially left all operations in Utah by announcing the closure of their store at West Jordan's Jordan Landing. This was the original Sears Grand prototype store, but square footage was cut to share with a Burlington store.

Boise, ID and Idaho Falls, ID remain the only remaining Sears stores in Idaho. Both are attached to very successful regional malls.
Last edited by SamSpade on August 22nd, 2018, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

i have a feeling that sears will file bankruptcy after the holidays. die hard is the only asset left they can sell off and i don't think it will be enough to stave off bankruptcy with holiday sales likely to be weak this year.
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 5:20 pm Portland loses another K-Mart, Gresham.
That lot will quickly fall into decay... or hopefully re-development. It is steps from the MAX Blue Line, a sea of parking, no other stores. . .

I don't understand why the KMart in Beaverton on Murray Blvd. persists!
3 left in the state -
Beaverton (Portland suburb)
The Dalles, removed from any other retail, except Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart
Corvallis, removed from any other retail except Bi-Mart

What's the story on that small store in Los Angeles? Seems to be a thriving retail district with a Whole Foods in the same lot.

Sears has officially left all operations in Utah by announcing the closure of their store at West Jordan's Jordan Landing. This was the original Sears Grand prototype store, but square footage was cut to share with a Burlington store.

Boise, ID and Idaho Falls, ID remain the only remaining Sears stores in Idaho. Both are attached to very successful regional malls.
Beaverton is VERY run-down looking. I don't get why it hasn't closed already. Gresham doesn't surprise me as it was similar in age and appearance to the one on Sandy shutting down. Sears is also closing two locations. Vancouver Mall (which has been weak on hard goods for years due to the proximity to tax-free Oregon) and Clackamas Town Center (which is in a busy mall, but owned by GGP who I previously mentioned Sears has had a rocky relationship with). It used to be one of the busiest stores but staff got cut to the bone a while back. The only remaining Sears in the Portland area will be at Washington Square. In the case of Clackamas though, it signals the end of the chain is near when a store in a "grade A" mall is closing....
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Of real surprise to me is Memorial City in Houston. That store was bustling when I was there in February. I simply cannot fathom how much money it took for Sears to let this one go in favor of stores like Baytown and North Shepherd, which are both old dogs.

Of no surprise is Hammond, LA. That location was part of a de-malling process that appears to have somewhat worked for the other mall stores, but not so much for Sears. Only two Sears stores now remain in Louisiana, along with two Kmarts.
Super S

Post by Super S »

reymann wrote: August 22nd, 2018, 5:27 pm i have a feeling that sears will file bankruptcy after the holidays. die hard is the only asset left they can sell off and i don't think it will be enough to stave off bankruptcy with holiday sales likely to be weak this year.
At one point, I had the feeling Kmart would die, and they would focus on trying to turn the Sears brand around. But when 2 of 3 Sears left in the Portland area are shutting down, and so many smaller to medium size towns (and in some cases entire states)have already lost their Sears and Kmart stores, I think it will be over within a few years. Lampert sure has a history of dragging things out longer than they should.