Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2018

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Re: Sears/Kmart Death Watch 2018

Post by Super S »

I had to pick up a friend at PDX on Easter Sunday. The flight was delayed a while so I decided to visit the Kmart at 122nd & Sandy. This store is in terrible shape. While all of the lights were on, about half of them were flickering and were dim. (I visited this store about a year ago on a cooler day and it felt like the heat was off. Not sure if that was the case this time but could be a factor) The electronics department basically consists of two rows of DVDs. No TV's. No radios. There are random empty shelves all over the store. And the one checkout was basically a single person at the service desk (also doing service desk tasks) with a long line. There is no official word that the store is closing but it sure looks that way. It's like they aren't even trying to make it look presentable any more. It also doesn't help that they put bars on the doors and windows and have one outside wall covered with graffiti not to mention a neglected parking lot and trees/shrubs. This store is an example of everything that is wrong with the chain but somehow has snuck past the closing lists. There is also a Sears Outlet next door in the same building which I did not go in but did note that from the outside they had several different color shades of fluorescent bulbs in use.
While I have liked Kmart over the years, I think it might be time to put the chain out of its misery when most thrift stores look better.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Super S wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 10:29 am I had to pick up a friend at PDX on Easter Sunday. The flight was delayed a while so I decided to visit the Kmart at 122nd & Sandy. . .
While I have liked Kmart over the years, I think it might be time to put the chain out of its misery when most thrift stores look better.
Not to mention, they were OPEN Easter Sunday, something that Target, Costco, Best Buy, mall retailers, Macy's, JCPenney and more give their employees off (or have severely reduced hours).

On Ace's Adventures on YouTube, it looked like Sears is closed on Easter Sundays.
Super S

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 3:43 pm
Super S wrote: April 3rd, 2018, 10:29 am I had to pick up a friend at PDX on Easter Sunday. The flight was delayed a while so I decided to visit the Kmart at 122nd & Sandy. . .
Not to mention, they were OPEN Easter Sunday, something that Target, Costco, Best Buy, mall retailers, Macy's, JCPenney and more give their employees off (or have severely reduced hours).

On Ace's Adventures on YouTube, it looked like Sears is closed on Easter Sundays.
I didn't buy anything. Just wanted to walk around someplace that was out of the rain and Kmart was the first open store that I found. I try not to shop on holidays unless there is an urgent need.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Another Sears, at Tacoma Mall, will likely disappear:

http://amp.thenewstribune.com/latest-ne ... 46709.html

It hints at Sears possibly opening a smaller store but I am not holding my breath.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Things are happening pretty fast with Sears these days. They are just wrapping up another string of closures announced a few months ago with most of those stores slated to close this coming Sunday.

In general this is a pretty scary time for retail with the ongoing stream of closures from Sears/Kmart, Toys R Us entire chain closing, and various other chains "on the ropes."
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: April 4th, 2018, 10:45 pm Things are happening pretty fast with Sears these days. They are just wrapping up another string of closures announced a few months ago with most of those stores slated to close this coming Sunday.

In general this is a pretty scary time for retail with the ongoing stream of closures from Sears/Kmart, Toys R Us entire chain closing, and various other chains "on the ropes."
Also, Sears/Kmart just announced that they got hit with a data breach, the absolute last thing that they need...
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

architect wrote: April 5th, 2018, 6:56 am Also, Sears/Kmart just announced that they got hit with a data breach, the absolute last thing that they need...
So that should affect what, 10 people or so? ;)
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Did anyone really think their data was safe at Kmart? I wouldn't imagine they have spent the money to have the latest security patches installed.
Super S

Post by Super S »

architect wrote: April 5th, 2018, 6:56 am
storewanderer wrote: April 4th, 2018, 10:45 pm Things are happening pretty fast with Sears these days. They are just wrapping up another string of closures announced a few months ago with most of those stores slated to close this coming Sunday.

Also, Sears/Kmart just announced that they got hit with a data breach, the absolute last thing that they need...
Especially since they take the position that Shop Your Way members are the only customers that matter to them....
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Super S wrote: April 5th, 2018, 3:24 pm
Especially since they take the position that Shop Your Way members are the only customers that matter to them....
And they aren't making any money off of them either. I have spent maybe $50 out of pocket at Kmart and Sears around January or so. Since then, I have probably acquired close to an additional $300-$400, if not more, worth of products playing with their various ridiculous points/freecash promotions/contests...and I'm not the only one doing this either. I still can't understand it (unless they are showing artificial 'sales' that aren't really there. There has to be some major accounting number shuffling going on behind the scenes).. I'm seriously running out of ideas of things to buy at this point at either store.