Bon Ton Stores headed on the downswing

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Bon Ton Stores headed on the downswing

Post by SamSpade »

"Christmas quarter" sales fell year over year, chain has little of its own real estate to leverage. Is bankruptcy next for Bon-Ton? Retailer’s demise could impact Dayton On a personal note, I'd find this sad because Bon Ton's stores I've seen seem quite nice. I also had one of the best eCommerce experiences with them a few years ago.
bm10k

Re: Bon Ton Stores headed on the downswing

Post by bm10k »

http://www.therepublic.com/2018/01/29/r ... locations/

Looks like Bon Ton Will close 45 stores this year
which will include

12 Carson's
16 Bon Ton
7 Younkers
6 Elder-Beerman
4 locations of the others 3 regional chains (Bergners, Herbergers, Boston Store)
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

One of those 4 locations in the "other" divisions is Herberger's in Pocatello, Idaho.
The store looks larger than it is in this report as it replaced a former 2-story ZCMI / Meier & Frank / Dillard's but was only leasing the first floor.

This is probably the farthest west that Bon-Ton operated a store.
Herbergers Pine Ridge Mall to close

Are you listening Marvin Ellison? That Pine Ridge JCPenney needs Sephora added now. There is no other "department store" cosmetics retailer in Pocatello-Chubbuck.

Pine Ridge Mall struggled under GGP ownership but after being sold to a private family has rebounded significantly, luring over a Cal Ranch (ranch/farm/western supplies and apparel) and new Hobby Lobby store to replace some of its faded traditional department store anchors. There is a vacant Sears property attached, but unfortunately not owned by the mall.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

This story includes the press release with the entire closing list:
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2018/02/l ... ationwide/
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

bm10k wrote: January 31st, 2018, 5:46 am http://www.therepublic.com/2018/01/29/r ... locations/

Looks like Bon Ton Will close 45 stores this year
which will include

12 Carson's
16 Bon Ton
7 Younkers
6 Elder-Beerman
4 locations of the others 3 regional chains (Bergners, Herbergers, Boston Store)
Many of the Carson's were re-brands of former Elder-Beerman stores. I know Riverside, Streets of Woodfield, and Circle Centre Mall in Indy were opened as Carson's. Not sure whether DeKalb was a re-brand. The Aurora Clearance Center was a full-line Carson's at one time, but I don't recall whether it was originally a Bergner's that was re-branded when Bergner's bought Carson's. I never understood how the Riverside store clung on all these years. Never saw anyone in the store, which was really a very small women's department.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

rwsandiego wrote: February 1st, 2018, 7:29 pm Many of the Carson's were re-brands of former Elder-Beerman stores. I know Riverside, Streets of Woodfield, and Circle Centre Mall in Indy were opened as Carson's. Not sure whether DeKalb was a re-brand. The Aurora Clearance Center was a full-line Carson's at one time, but I don't recall whether it was originally a Bergner's that was re-branded when Bergner's bought Carson's. I never understood how the Riverside store clung on all these years. Never saw anyone in the store, which was really a very small women's department.
Danville was also an Elder-Beerman rebrand of a buyout of Meis. The store is the last original anchor of Danville's Village Square Mall. The mall was built in 1974 with Indianapolis-based Ayr-Way and Meis. Ayr-Way was sold to Target in 1980. JCPenney was added to the rear of the mall in 1985, and Sears to the front in 1989. Target closed in 2000, JCP soon after, and Sears a couple of years ago. Kmart was next to the mall; it closed in 2016.

Danville has been flailing since the 1980's. Until that time, General Motors and many other industries were firmly entrenched there, but have been slowly leaving since. The economy has gradually slipped further and further down. This is just another blow to an already bad situation.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Interesting they have a location in Logan, Utah which is staying open.

Oops, I'm wrong. That one is closing too.

Quite a few left in Montana...
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Looks like they may file for bankruptcy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -collapses
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

wnetmacman wrote: February 1st, 2018, 8:10 pm
rwsandiego wrote: February 1st, 2018, 7:29 pm Many of the Carson's were re-brands of former Elder-Beerman stores. I know Riverside, Streets of Woodfield, and Circle Centre Mall in Indy were opened as Carson's. Not sure whether DeKalb was a re-brand. The Aurora Clearance Center was a full-line Carson's at one time, but I don't recall whether it was originally a Bergner's that was re-branded when Bergner's bought Carson's. I never understood how the Riverside store clung on all these years. Never saw anyone in the store, which was really a very small women's department.
Danville was also an Elder-Beerman rebrand of a buyout of Meis. The store is the last original anchor of Danville's Village Square Mall. The mall was built in 1974 with Indianapolis-based Ayr-Way and Meis. Ayr-Way was sold to Target in 1980. JCPenney was added to the rear of the mall in 1985, and Sears to the front in 1989. Target closed in 2000, JCP soon after, and Sears a couple of years ago. Kmart was next to the mall; it closed in 2016.

Danville has been flailing since the 1980's. Until that time, General Motors and many other industries were firmly entrenched there, but have been slowly leaving since. The economy has gradually slipped further and further down. This is just another blow to an already bad situation.
Thanks for the info. I didn't think it started as a Carson's, but wasn't sure.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Circle Centre started out as a Parisian. It was one of five stores sold to Bon-Ton in 2006, and converted to Carson Pirie Scott immediately afterward.