Macy's closing earlier than the rest of the mall

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

Macy's closing earlier than the rest of the mall

Post by Super S »

Yesterday, I was in Olympia and stopped in the Capital Mall at around 8:10 PM. I noticed that the Macy's in that mall was already closed for the day (I assume it closed at 8) but most of the mall, including JCPenney, was still open. There wasn't a whole lot of foot traffic, so this is justified to some extent, but it got me wondering if Macy's is doing this at other locations as well, or if this is an isolated thing. It could, however, hint at a location eventually closing...this situation took place over the past year at the Lloyd Center Sears in Portland, which is now officially closing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more Macy's in the northwest close. There are several former Bon Marche stores they inherited which just seem tired, and do not have an overall appearance that justifies their higher price point.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Macy's closing earlier than the rest of the mall

Post by SamSpade »

After the holiday shopping season, this was the posted closing time for Macy's in Idaho Falls (also former Bon Marche market). Some of the "less trafficed" malls in the Portland area are also now posted as closing at 8 pm.

Based on their store locator, also true for all malls in Utah except Fashion Place.

I suppose it all depends on if:
a) is Macy's leasing and how is that lease constructed or
b) does Macy's own the store / real estate?
Super S

Re: Macy's closing earlier than the rest of the mall

Post by Super S »

I don't know the details of ownership/lease etc. But closing early tends to indicate a store is losing business. Some people will see that a store is closed while the rest of the mall is open, and get the impression that it has gone out of business and go elsewhere. Something that Macy's doesn't really need people to be doing. It would be more appropriate for a small market such as Idaho Falls.

But it looks like, according to their store locator, many stores are now closing at 8PM. The top-tier, grade A type malls are the only ones I see with the 9PM closing times.