Salem Nordstrom Closing

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Salem Nordstrom Closing

Post by babs »

http://www.kptv.com/story/37397495/nord ... -in-oregon
Ironically Nordstrom, who is supposedly doing pretty well, has closed more stores in Oregon/SW Washington than Macy's. Vancouver Mall, Lloyd Center and now Salem Center. Salem Center was their smallest store too.
Super S

Re: Salem Nordstrom Closing

Post by Super S »

Interesting as Nordstrom, from what I have read, was largely responsible for the development of Salem Center. It will be interesting to see what happens next with the space as this mall has a somewhat strange layout due to it being built in a downtown area and the physical connection to the current Macys and JCPenney which predate the mall.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I do not think this is good news for Salem at all...

Nordstrom seems to only be surviving with its namesake stores in large population centers. Middle range markets like this, not anymore.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Back in the day, Nordstrom also had stores in smaller markets like Yakima, Washington, Fairbanks, Alaska and Kenai, Alaska. These days, places like those would had never been considered for a Nordstrom. But I’m kind of surprised that Salem didn’t make the cut. But then again Vancouver, Washington or Lloyd Center in Portland closed too.

I wonder if any Seattle area stores would ever close? Not that I see signs of any Seattle area stores closing, IF any were to close, I think it would be Northgate and Tacoma Mall. I say Tacoma as the demographics are not as upscale as Seattle and that Nordstrom might think that Tacoma and South Sound customers might be better served from the store at Westfield Southcenter. IF Northgate Mall’s Nordstrom were to close, I could see them doing that to drive customers to either the newly renovated Downtown Seattle flagship or Lynnwood’s Alderwood Mall location.
Super S

Post by Super S »

marshd1000 wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 8:24 am Back in the day, Nordstrom also had stores in smaller markets like Yakima, Washington, Fairbanks, Alaska and Kenai, Alaska. These days, places like those would had never been considered for a Nordstrom. But I’m kind of surprised that Salem didn’t make the cut. But then again Vancouver, Washington or Lloyd Center in Portland closed too.

I wonder if any Seattle area stores would ever close? Not that I see signs of any Seattle area stores closing, IF any were to close, I think it would be Northgate and Tacoma Mall. I say Tacoma as the demographics are not as upscale as Seattle and that Nordstrom might think that Tacoma and South Sound customers might be better served from the store at Westfield Southcenter. IF Northgate Mall’s Nordstrom were to close, I could see them doing that to drive customers to either the newly renovated Downtown Seattle flagship or Lynnwood’s Alderwood Mall location.
I thought Nordstrom built a new store along with a mall addition at Tacoma Mall relatively recently. That could work in their favor. However, Lloyd Center was also a new-build for them and it ended up closing.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Here’s an interesting article about the store closing, including an ad with the original “Nordstrom Mall” logo!

https://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ ... 087276001/
eric1972sea
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by eric1972sea »

Northgate Nordstrom closes for good as of 8/9/19.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Yep, the Northgate closure was noted in the thread about Northgate Mall’s redevelopment!