8 JCPenney Stores Closing

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
bm10k

8 JCPenney Stores Closing

Post by bm10k »

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/jc-penn ... y-are.html

the stores are :
Hampton Village Plaza in St. Louis, MO
Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ
Sandburg Mall in Galesburg, IL
Viking Plaza in Alexandria, MN
Washington Park Mall in Bartlesville, OK
Cascade Mall in Burlington, WA
Calexico Store in Calexico, CA
Knox Village Square in Mt. Vernon, OH
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: 8 JCPenney Stores Closing

Post by SamSpade »

bm10k wrote: February 17th, 2018, 12:19 pm https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/jc-penn ... y-are.html

the stores are :
Cascade Mall in Burlington, WA
Cascade Mall was the site of a mass shooting in September 2016. It was sold to new owners in 2017 for about half of the value it was purchased for in 1999. Mt. Vernon / Burlington are kind of sandwiched between the larger Seattle area and its excellent choices in retail and the larger metro area of Bellingham to the north.
Some mall stores reported few shoppers in the days following the shooting. But for Black Friday, some stores reported seeing about the same amount of foot traffic and sales compared to previous years.
Sears closed in 2014.
A large portion of former in-line mall retail (food court) was replaced by a TJ Maxx in 2013.
There is also a JCPenney located in Marysville.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Calexico is an older (albeit maybe a bit larger than some) downtown store I am surprised was spared last year.

Bartlesville is an interesting closure. This will leave Dillards and some Stage banner (I forget which one but it was just like Bealls and maybe a 20,000 square foot space) as the only anchors in the Bartlesville Mall. Sears already closed.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

NY Post: Few full time, new roles for part time JCPenney associates
https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/jcpenney- ... cut-costs/
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: February 18th, 2018, 12:03 am Bartlesville is an interesting closure. This will leave Dillards and some Stage banner (I forget which one but it was just like Bealls and maybe a 20,000 square foot space) as the only anchors in the Bartlesville Mall. Sears already closed.
According to the mall website and Google Maps, it's a Goody's. The mall appears busy in those same maps photos. I'm kind of surprised about that. It is a smaller store, though, and JCP has publicly stated that the smaller stores don't fit their profile.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

wnetmacman wrote: February 28th, 2018, 1:27 pm
storewanderer wrote: February 18th, 2018, 12:03 am Bartlesville is an interesting closure. This will leave Dillards and some Stage banner (I forget which one but it was just like Bealls and maybe a 20,000 square foot space) as the only anchors in the Bartlesville Mall. Sears already closed.
According to the mall website and Google Maps, it's a Goody's. The mall appears busy in those same maps photos. I'm kind of surprised about that. It is a smaller store, though, and JCP has publicly stated that the smaller stores don't fit their profile.
If smaller stores don't fit JCP's profile, there are a lot more they have to close that I know of. I think these stores all do pretty well. Non-mall stores. Stores I can think of offhand include Carson City, NV; Grass Valley, CA; Elko, NV; Chico, CA; Yreka, CA.........
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: February 28th, 2018, 10:58 pm
wnetmacman wrote: February 28th, 2018, 1:27 pm
If smaller stores don't fit JCP's profile, there are a lot more they have to close that I know of. I think these stores all do pretty well. Non-mall stores. Stores I can think of offhand include Carson City, NV; Grass Valley, CA; Elko, NV; Chico, CA; Yreka, CA.........
Kelso, WA definitely qualifies as a small store, at the most in the low 50,000 square feet range.
It goes against two things JCPenney has mentioned. Not only the smaller size, but also the fact that the Three Rivers Mall it is attached to is struggling, with Sears long gone, Macy's closing last year, and businesses continuing to leave.