JCPenney struggles

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: JCPenney struggles

Post by rwsandiego »

Super S wrote: November 24th, 2018, 7:17 am ...JCPenney...regular prices are high when you consider the overall store experience.
Not to mention the merchandise. Can't speak for other regions, but in San Diego their regular prices on housewares were often higher than that of better merchandise sold at Macy's.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've never seen a dead JCP Store. Every JCP I've ever been in has been fully stocked and always has at least some customer traffic. I've seen a lot of old looking and not well maintained JCP Stores, but lack of customer traffic has never seemed to be a problem.

But somehow this company can't seem to make the numbers work.

I've seen dead Sears Stores, many dead Macy's Stores, all that are not fully merchandised with literally entire department spaces that are just empty, and clearly on their way out (and many of these have since closed since I visited them), but have not observed such situations with JCP. JCP seems to be able to get inventory. It is just junk inventory that nobody wants. They should rename their store Junk Central.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: November 22nd, 2018, 10:56 pm

Yes, even moreso now it is not a good indication with all of the sales going online as well. Macy's has a fairly strong online effort while that of JCP is painfully weak.

Also Kohl's did not seem to blanket the mail and newspapers with $10 off any transaction coupons this year. I did see some $5 off any transaction coupons floating around. The Kohl's was dead compared to how it had been in prior years. There was also noticeably less merchandise there, especially in housewares which in previous years had big pallets of cheap small kitchen appliances, vacuums, etc. but this year had just a few displays in the center aisle back there. But the merchandise that is there looks pretty good, unlike JCP which looks slightly above a Wal Mart clothing department in quality only due to the brands offered (their private label stuff is thin junk), and worse in neatness. Kohl's likely made a calculated analysis to determine that some of the promotions done in the past, while they generated traffic, just weren't worth it due to the impact on the overall store experience.
JCPenney has always been very behind on their website. They rarely offer free shipping, and only discounted if you buy a large amount...Kohl's, Target, etc. almost always have free or cheap shipping. And JCPenney still charges a FEE to have items shipped to a store...they must be losing a ton of business on that alone.

As for Kohl's, they did send $10 coupons in the mail and some other % off ones....my folks got them, but they each have a Kohl's card.
Super S

Post by Super S »

JCPenney stock has fallen below $1:

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1027832520

It doesn't look too good after a disappointing holiday season.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't think they reported their holiday results yet but the "analysts" seem to be saying them had a poor season. The local JCP Store was very busy. But that is no different from the usual. Inventory levels are far lower than they were back in November (the clearance racks are still stuffed full though).

I guess we will see how their results come in... I was hoping the new CEO would turn things around but given that buying is 6-9 months ahead of time, she is still working with the terrible buying of the past failed management. And the store experience is as lousy as ever.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

i see jcp filing for bankruptcy sometime in early 2019. they need to consider private equity at this point to stay afloat.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think JCP still owns a decent amount of real estate...

But the news that is about to come out tomorrow probably won't have a great impact on real estate values for 30-40 year old retail store buildings.