Target using lowercase "target" on full-scale stores

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Target using lowercase "target" on full-scale stores

Post by storewanderer »

I have to agree the Australia logo and new US logo are not so similar when placed side by side. The letter "g" is very different, enough so to make the entire logos look different enough.

Most Target Stores I know of have the old red Target/red text and date back to the mid or late 90's. These are not very good performing stores and it is clear the company is minimizing expenses by not buying new signs (one was a Greatland store and in the "red wall/P-Fresh" reset, they tore the Greatland signs off the building but kept the Target signage that was there along with Greatland. If you go down to the bay area of California you will see a variety of the newer logos mentioned above since those are solidly performing stores.

I think the bulls eye alone is sufficient.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

The Australian Target logos, both past and present, look nothing like the US Target logo save for the bullseye, which others have pointed out is licensed from Target Corporation. Both the upper- and lower-case logos are Helvetica (or something similar). The previous Australian logo was in something similar to Franklin Gothic, while the new logo is in Century Gothic. They are really quite different, aside from the bullseye.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I also recently saw the lowercase lettering on a Target sign in Morgan Hill CA, next to the 101 freeway.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Brian Lutz wrote: June 19th, 2018, 8:46 am I also recently saw the lowercase lettering on a Target sign in Morgan Hill CA, next to the 101 freeway.
Looks like a full-size store as well. Is it on the freeway sign? My thought earlier is was because the fullerton sign was wide (originally was the sign for Montgomery Ward) but this one is a pretty standard dimension for the bullseye:
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 9.00.11 AM.png
submariner

Post by submariner »

So, I guess it's safe to say "target" is the new "TARGET". I visited the Fullerton location today, now that it's full "LA25" makeover is complete. Some thoughts:
Target (Former Montgomery Ward) Fullerton, CA by Aaron Slater, on Flickr

On my way home, I noticed that there's another Target coming soon to Anaheim (we have a few). This one replaces a former Kmart. Some notes:
  • It also features the lowercase "target" on the street signs
  • It features a more traditional bold red facade
  • For the first time I've seen, the lowercase "target" is on the facade itself
  • Target opening in a former Kmart is an interesting choice. The shopping center is hardly struggling, and the demographic is a very vibrant and not-financially-depressed Hispanic community. I think this is a situation where Kmart had a perfect spot for a store and their marketing and upkeep habits blew a great opportunity, especially since Target swooped in rather quickly to acquire the location. Time will tell.
  • The store is not yet open, due to open July 22nd.
  • I can't quite tell since it isn't open, but I think the Kmart was subdivided and this could be a smaller-format Target
Target (Former Kmart) Anaheim, CA by Aaron Slater, on Flickr
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Funny they can get a changed logo on the building signs yet the cling signs in the window have the old logo... not very detail oriented.

I am however happy to see them tone down the red in the newer interior... not sure how I feel about the new color scheme, but sure welcome the tone down of the red.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 10:46 pm Funny they can get a changed logo on the building signs yet the cling signs in the window have the old logo... not very detail oriented.

I am however happy to see them tone down the red in the newer interior... not sure how I feel about the new color scheme, but sure welcome the tone down of the red.
Sometimes even little things, such as one newer Target I know of that has aluminum frame doors instead of red, makes a huge difference. The use of red as a major interior color for some reason reminds me of the 1970s. In my opinion it looks cheap.

I remember visiting an older Target in the early 1990s, not long after a new Target opened near me. The older Target (early 1980s build) had a different, darker shade of red with a white stripe, (no neon or lighted signs) on all the walls and it really made the store look older than it was.

As for the logo...not sure about the lower case letters but it does seem like it fits with the store.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Super S wrote: June 24th, 2018, 8:22 am
storewanderer wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 10:46 pm Funny they can get a changed logo on the building signs yet the cling signs in the window have the old logo... not very detail oriented.

Sometimes even little things, such as one newer Target I know of that has aluminum frame doors instead of red, makes a huge difference. The use of red as a major interior color for some reason reminds me of the 1970s. In my opinion it looks cheap....
I completely agree. When they put up the red walls the place looked cheap and dirty.

Regarding lower- vs upper-case letters, the Target bullseye is very widely recognized, so much so that they could print "flibbitygibbit" underneath and customers would likely still come in.
submariner

Post by submariner »

I was at the Target in Cypress yesterday, which just got a top-down remodel to LA25 (including the lowercase logo). Interesting on this store, it's an older (for California) location, from at least the 1980s. This is the best representation of the "classic" target floorplan that's prevalent all over. Here's some of the major changes:
  • The layout has practically inverted, with the clothing departments coming to center-store and hardlines to the perimeter.
  • The center aisle has been reworked with dramatic lighting and "islands" (vaguely reminiscent of Mervyn's) where the aisle widens to feature products
  • Much of the center store has a grid for track lighting, allowing the store to add or remove spotlights as needed to product highlights or displays
  • The overall look serves to make the store appear much more like a traditional department store rather than a discount retailer.
  • Silver is the new Red. the entrance doors have been repainted silver from their previous red color.
Photo note: This corner is where the Fitting Rooms were formerly.
Target - Cypress, CA by Aaron Slater, on Flickr

Photo note: notice the track lighting grid. All ceiling lights are now LED as well.

Photo note: Fitting rooms now in the center-store area. Note LED circles above cosmetics display in front aisle "island".

Photo note: The rear aisle is generally unchanged outside of department relocation. Tech (nee Electronics) remains in its previous location.

Photo note: the new center aisle with lighting focus.

Photo note: Looking into one of the center aisle "islands".
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

submariner wrote: July 8th, 2018, 10:26 am I was at the Target in Cypress yesterday, which just got a top-down remodel to LA25 (including the lowercase logo). Interesting on this store, it's an older (for California) location, from at least the 1980s. This is the best representation of the "classic" target floorplan that's prevalent all over. Here's some of the major changes:
  • The layout has practically inverted, with the clothing departments coming to center-store and hardlines to the perimeter.
  • The center aisle has been reworked with dramatic lighting and "islands" (vaguely reminiscent of Mervyn's) where the aisle widens to feature products
  • Much of the center store has a grid for track lighting, allowing the store to add or remove spotlights as needed to product highlights or displays
  • The overall look serves to make the store appear much more like a traditional department store rather than a discount retailer.
  • Silver is the new Red. the entrance doors have been repainted silver from their previous red color.
Photo note: This corner is where the Fitting Rooms were formerly.

Photo note: notice the track lighting grid. All ceiling lights are now LED as well.

Photo note: Fitting rooms now in the center-store area. Note LED circles above cosmetics display in front aisle "island".

Photo note: The rear aisle is generally unchanged outside of department relocation. Tech (nee Electronics) remains in its previous location.

Photo note: the new center aisle with lighting focus.

Photo note: Looking into one of the center aisle "islands".
This store sounds like the Camelback Flex Format store in Phoenix, albeit bigger and having a complete merchandise selection. Which reminds me: I was in the Paradise Valley Target last weekend and, to my surprise, they had a decent tool selection, including some Black and Decker power saws.