New Kmart opens in part of Sears space

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Super S

New Kmart opens in part of Sears space

Post by Super S »

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/06/19/a-k ... ahead.html

I have my doubts....Sears and Kmart have already experimented with this. It will probably end up being watered down anyway if they stick around long enough to do this chainwide.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: New Kmart opens in part of Sears space

Post by submariner »

I mean, at this point, this just reeks of "grasping at straws".
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

It's interesting, but it's pretty late for that, especially as Kmart's merchandise mix has been destabilized in recent years. I think that previous attempts to do something like this were foiled by a lack of advertising and branding, as well as a consistent failure to get grocery up and running. I brought up in a different topic an alternate world if Sears had bought Safeway in 2005, which could've resulted in the end of Super Kmart in favor of Safeway "store-within-a-stores".
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

10,000 square feet? They could have easily done this long ago to every Sears had they wanted to... not real sure why they are bothering now.

This won't save anything.
a42887
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by a42887 »

Same sentiments here. This is really a pretty good idea. If they had done this a decade ago (or whenever the merger happened), I think we'd be in a slightly better position. Not sure it is enough to stop the inevitable sales slide though...
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I'm seeing rumors posted that the entire chain (both Sears and Kmart) will have a final liquidation in January 2019. With all of the activity surrounding the company this year, I'm not about to completely discount that rumor. This does seem like something that should've been done 10 years ago when the chain may still have had some life left in it.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

arizonaguy wrote: June 21st, 2018, 6:56 am I'm seeing rumors posted that the entire chain (both Sears and Kmart) will have a final liquidation in January 2019. With all of the activity surrounding the company this year, I'm not about to completely discount that rumor. This does seem like something that should've been done 10 years ago when the chain may still have had some life left in it.
Sears Grand was "sort of" that idea, but they handled it really poorly and didn't expand it enough. Super Kmart actually got an updated logo too but that went nowhere, you could write a book on the opportunities they wasted. To me this looks like some branding change and a rearrangement of excess space to allow for some HBA and grocery items and not a full renovation of anything.
Super S

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote: June 21st, 2018, 9:24 am
arizonaguy wrote: June 21st, 2018, 6:56 am I'm seeing rumors posted that the entire chain (both Sears and Kmart) will have a final liquidation in January 2019. With all of the activity surrounding the company this year, I'm not about to completely discount that rumor. This does seem like something that should've been done 10 years ago when the chain may still have had some life left in it.
Sears Grand was "sort of" that idea, but they handled it really poorly and didn't expand it enough. Super Kmart actually got an updated logo too but that went nowhere, you could write a book on the opportunities they wasted. To me this looks like some branding change and a rearrangement of excess space to allow for some HBA and grocery items and not a full renovation of anything.
The idea has potential in some of the larger stores with too much space. Think of multi level 100K square feet stores. It isn't really suitable for the smaller stores that are still open. But people aren't exactly going to flock to a store combining two failing brands...I agree they should have done this earlier, shortly after Sears and Kmart became one company.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I think they can do better if they can offer some of the apparel business of Sears/Kmart (yeah, it's not much, but it's one of the few components of Sears that still has value) in other stores, like grocery stores (the other way around isn't happening). F&F seems to do well in the stores that Hy-Vee put them in...
Mycrossover

Post by Mycrossover »

The announced plan is to work it both ways, with Sears in K Mart and K Mart in Sears. I think this is a text book example of re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk