Dillard's looking at former Boston Store locations

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Dillard's looking at former Boston Store locations

Post by arizonaguy »

Interesting article I stumbled upon.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/re ... 775141002/

Dillard's may open 3 Milwaukee area stores. First major expansion I've heard from them in a while.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Dillard's looking at former Boston Store locations

Post by rwsandiego »

arizonaguy wrote: August 16th, 2018, 8:26 am Interesting article I stumbled upon.

Dillard's may open 3 Milwaukee area stores. First major expansion I've heard from them in a while.
Dillard's reminds me of what Carson Pirie Scott was back in the day before they were acquired by Bergner's. Since I will never realize my dream of Safebertsons magically converting all of their stores to gleaming Jewel-Oscos nor will Macy's become Marshall Field's, maybe Dillard's will use Milwaukee as a test bed before entering Chicago by snapping up a bunch of Carson's stores.

A guy can dream.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: August 16th, 2018, 8:19 pm
arizonaguy wrote: August 16th, 2018, 8:26 am Interesting article I stumbled upon.

Dillard's reminds me of what Carson Pirie Scott was back in the day before they were acquired by Bergner's. Since I will never realize my dream of Safebertsons magically converting all of their stores to gleaming Jewel-Oscos nor will Macy's become Marshall Field's, maybe Dillard's will use Milwaukee as a test bed before entering Chicago by snapping up a bunch of Carson's stores.

A guy can dream.
Maybe they will do this a market at a time. I think Dillards could do just fine in much of the upper midwest. Probably a better prospect for them than, say, an expansion on the west coast.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: August 17th, 2018, 12:00 am

A guy can dream.
Maybe they will do this a market at a time. I think Dillards could do just fine in much of the upper midwest. Probably a better prospect for them than, say, an expansion on the west coast.
I wonder though how Dillard's would compete against the former Bon Marche stores in the Pacific Northwest. Boise actually has had a Dillard's as a later addition to Boise Towne Square for a while now, which coexists with a Bon-turned-Macys in the same mall. Macy's has closed stores in Nampa and Downtown Boise, but I do wonder what effect Dillard's has had. Macy's just misses the mark in so many aspects compared to the Bon Marche days.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Super S wrote: August 17th, 2018, 7:13 am
storewanderer wrote: August 17th, 2018, 12:00 am

A guy can dream.
I wonder though how Dillard's would compete against the former Bon Marche stores in the Pacific Northwest. Boise actually has had a Dillard's as a later addition to Boise Towne Square for a while now, which coexists with a Bon-turned-Macys in the same mall. Macy's has closed stores in Nampa and Downtown Boise, but I do wonder what effect Dillard's has had. Macy's just misses the mark in so many aspects compared to the Bon Marche days.
Dillard's tends to do decent against Macy's in Arizona. If I need to go to a department store for something, I find Dillard's is my best bet as they tend to have better customer service and a broader selection. Macy's seems to me to be overpriced for what is essentially maybe 1/2 a step up from a JCPenney or Kohl's.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

It would be interesting to see what Dillard's could do in the Northwest, but I can't see it happening anytime soon. A lot of the mid-market competition here has dwindled over the years. Lamonts/Gottschalk's and Mervyn's used to fill the niche but are both gone, with Kohl's only partially filling it, JCPenney seems to be mostly treading water and Sears seems to be slouching toward its inevitable demise. I could see someone like Dillard's taking over a few choice former or soon-to-be-former Sears locations (Southcenter, Alderwood, maybe a couple others) and doing reasonably well. Doubt it will happen though.