Burlington Store Downsizes

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Burlington Store Downsizes

Post by storewanderer »

A year or so ago, the (previously expanded) Reno Burlington was downsized pretty significantly. This is an old Breuner's Furniture Store (odd low ceilings) but the expanded area was previously a connected mall (had normal high ceilings).

So they gave up a good chunk of the expanded area and kept all of the "old" space. I thought maybe this was a one off situation since Burlington opened a new store over in Sparks.

Based on another thread here it sounds like Burlington downsized a store in Salem, OR as well by closing the second floor.

I don't really follow this chain but wonder if this was a chainwide initiative.
Super S

Re: Burlington Store Downsizes

Post by Super S »

In the case of Salem, it was an old Montgomery Ward and they used both floors. A lot probably has to do with foot traffic falling off as Macys closed and that wing was walled off. People don't go inside the mall as much when there are only a handful of stores now.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

@SuperS, thanks for the flag to go look at the former Lancaster Mall.

I suspect the landlords have moved toward "Cedar Hills Crossing" it at some point. That mall also still has a small (largely empty now) interior portion with small local businesses that seem to pay the bills and provides a connection from parking on one side of the center to the other.

The rest of the center is undergoing a major redevelopment though that is definitely an improvement over the past. I hope Salem can have something similar.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

The store that just recently opened near me is about 35,000 sq ft. Not too big considering a lot of other stores are in 70-140k stores in this area.