Sears Home & Life

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Sears Home & Life

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/developing ... space/amp/

It looks like this is another new concept Sears is trying out, that will mainly sell appliances and mattresses.
Super S

Re: Sears Home & Life

Post by Super S »

What exactly then would be the difference between this and a Sears Hometown store? This almost seems like a pointless concept. Perhaps the name difference indicates Sears actually owns it?
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Super S wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:09 pm What exactly then would be the difference between this and a Sears Hometown store? This almost seems like a pointless concept. Perhaps the name difference indicates Sears actually owns it?
Hometown stores also sell tools and lawn and garden. This store (which is by me, by the way) is going into a high traffic spot not too terribly far from where the old Sears store was. It's also only around 20,000 square feet, which is going to actually be small to sell appliances and mattresses.

Too bad it won't last long...
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

wnetmacman wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 6:27 am
Super S wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:09 pm What exactly then would be the difference between this and a Sears Hometown store? This almost seems like a pointless concept. Perhaps the name difference indicates Sears actually owns it?
Hometown stores also sell tools and lawn and garden. This store (which is by me, by the way) is going into a high traffic spot not too terribly far from where the old Sears store was. It's also only around 20,000 square feet, which is going to actually be small to sell appliances and mattresses.

Too bad it won't last long...
The Sears brand name is too damaged for this to be a long term play. The country is already overwhelmed with mattress stores. And with aggressive, profitable stores like Home Depot, Best Buy and Lowes selling appliances, there little room for Sears. I also expect to hear one of the big three to eventually pickup the Kenmore brand name leaving zero reason for Sears to exist.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Does Sears Hometown stores sell vacuum cleaners or electronics too? I've never been to one but they sound kind of like the old Sears we had before the large one at the mall. It sold lawn and garden equipment, appliances, tools, electronics, vacuums and sewing machines.

I'd like to Sears continue in that kind of format. I think the Hometown Stores could work reasonably if they separated from Sears itself. But a lot of people don't plan to shop at Sears again or have bad experiences with their service dept, so maybe it wouldn't work.

I'd like to see one of the big stores pick up the Kenmore brand, especially the lines that aren't just rebadged Whirlpools. Lowes sells the Craftsman line, but so far it only seems to be tool boxes and totes. Not sure if Ace Hardware still does or not.

I remember some suggested that Amazon could take over Kenmore appliances and Sears' parts department.