Walmart to open a maximum of 10 new stores in FY2020

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Walmart to open a maximum of 10 new stores in FY2020

Post by Brian Lutz »

Walmart is also rolling out "on-the-spot" checkout more widely after a successful test in 350 stores last year:

https://komonews.com/news/business/walm ... ut-service

Right now, the checkout experience seems to be one of Walmart's biggest weaknesses (it seems they rarely have enough checkstands open at the ones I go to) so anything that can improve it is a good thing.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Wal Marts in my area have added a literal ton of self checkouts; 20+ in some stores, and removed most regular checkout lanes. At least now they have 3 of 10 checkouts open on a Saturday afternoon instead of 3 of 28 checkouts open on a Saturday afternoon which may help customer perception of their service levels :? Checkout is still a problem during busy periods as the self checkouts interface slowly, are understaffed, and many lanes seem to have problems.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Well, that is a shame to see - but at least they're scaling down and continuing to invest in their stores some. I don't imagine it being like early 2000s Kmart since they do not face such doom just yet.
That being said - will this count relocations too, or will it solely count brand-new locations? I wonder if this may change in the event Kmart/Sears liquidate.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: October 30th, 2018, 10:02 pm Wal Marts in my area have added a literal ton of self checkouts; 20+ in some stores, and removed most regular checkout lanes. At least now they have 3 of 10 checkouts open on a Saturday afternoon instead of 3 of 28 checkouts open on a Saturday afternoon which may help customer perception of their service levels :? Checkout is still a problem during busy periods as the self checkouts interface slowly, are understaffed, and many lanes seem to have problems.
3 of 28 is well staffed for Walmart. I have been to some where ONE of 28 is open and all of the self checkouts are closed. And this wasn't in the middle of the night either.

They (as well as Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, and other large chains) could take a lesson from Fred Meyer, which has ample self checkouts as well as well-staffed regular checkstands open at all times. Something I have seen in regular Kroger stores as well. They are stepping up the amount of self checkouts as they remodel, but at the same time installing new regular checkstands. Kroger is about the only operator who recognizes that not everybody likes self checkout and, although adapting to newer technology, still makes some effort to keep regular checkstands open.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

The Walmart here opened another arena of self checkouts after the remodel. I also noticed they added two more regular checkouts at the garden center. I'm not sure why they did that as typically there is only one line open on that end of the store. The most I've seen is two. Usually the one that's opened only has someone there if someone is checking out. Whoever is stocking in that area typically has to do double duty as cashier.

It also seems they removed a couple of lanes (or maybe it was the book area?) and added an area with leather chairs and wood flooring. Not sure what that is for. Partly I wonder if it's just a fill in area.

I couldn't tell you how many regular checkouts are open at Walmart since I rarely use one anymore. The only time I do is when I'm buying something that I don't want the self checkout to hassle me about. Although it did get me the other day when I was buying super glue. Fortunately the attendant was nearby and was able to quickly override it.

On Lowe's, I never understood why their self checkouts are rarely open. I think they only have two and I can think of maybe twice in the last year or so that they've not been closed. They seem to rely on the customer service counter plus two regular checkouts for everything. That also causes a wait at the returns counter.

On the other hand, Home Depot always has four self checkouts open, but they usually also usually have two regular lines open.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

cjd wrote: November 4th, 2018, 5:08 am The Walmart here opened another arena of self checkouts after the remodel. I also noticed they added two more regular checkouts at the garden center. I'm not sure why they did that as typically there is only one line open on that end of the store. The most I've seen is two. Usually the one that's opened only has someone there if someone is checking out. Whoever is stocking in that area typically has to do double duty as cashier.

It also seems they removed a couple of lanes (or maybe it was the book area?) and added an area with leather chairs and wood flooring. Not sure what that is for. Partly I wonder if it's just a fill in area.

I couldn't tell you how many regular checkouts are open at Walmart since I rarely use one anymore. The only time I do is when I'm buying something that I don't want the self checkout to hassle me about. Although it did get me the other day when I was buying super glue. Fortunately the attendant was nearby and was able to quickly override it.

On Lowe's, I never understood why their self checkouts are rarely open. I think they only have two and I can think of maybe twice in the last year or so that they've not been closed. They seem to rely on the customer service counter plus two regular checkouts for everything. That also causes a wait at the returns counter.

On the other hand, Home Depot always has four self checkouts open, but they usually also usually have two regular lines open.
The area with leather chairs and wood flooring is the online pickup area. The idea is for a customer to wait in the leather chair while an associate picks up the customer's order.