Target closing 6 stores in early 2019

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Target closing 6 stores in early 2019

Post by rwsandiego »

arizonaguy wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:12 pm Interestingly enough, here in the Phoenix area most of the Target stores were "regular-size" stores. I only know of one Greatland store in the Phoenix area off hand (and it was a later build store opening in 2001). There also was a Super Target in the area built in the late 1990s and a handful of them built around the mid-2000s (however the vast majority of stores built in the 1980s and 1990s and the late 2000s onward are all "regular" Targets).

The former Greatland store isn't all that "great" as it is one of the only Target stores in the area to not have a Starbucks. The HBA assortment is much smaller than other stores in the area. It almost seems like it was built as a Greatland store but gets treated by Target as one of their "lower volume" locations whereas most of their "standard" stores in the area have more product.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Targe ... 15!9m1!1b1
That Desert Ridge Target is terrible. I was looking for trash bags one day and couldn't find them nor could I find an employee to help me find them. Ended up buying them at Safeway.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The original Targets in Phoenix were ex-Fedmart and Zodys stores
klkla

Post by klkla »

jamcool wrote: November 4th, 2018, 6:58 am The original Targets in Phoenix were ex-Fedmart and Zodys stores
If I remember correctly they entered SoCal with the purchase of FedMart locations, as well. Not 100% sure though, but I don't remember seeing them in San Diego until that point.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote: November 4th, 2018, 3:10 pm
jamcool wrote: November 4th, 2018, 6:58 am The original Targets in Phoenix were ex-Fedmart and Zodys stores
If I remember correctly they entered SoCal with the purchase of FedMart locations, as well. Not 100% sure though, but I don't remember seeing them in San Diego until that point.
I think you are correct. Check out the timeline (see link in a previous post). There is an ad for Target coming to Southern California that says something to the effect of "No Membership Fee Needed."
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

When they opened the Target Greatland store in Redmond WA back in the 1996-1997 time frame it was supposedly the largest Target store in the state of Washington at the time. As far as I could tell the main difference between that store and others in the area was the size (nearby Targets in Woodinville and Issaquah had only single entrances, and the Factoria one in Bellevue was connected to a mall.) The development that brought the Target to Redmond also came with a Mervyn's California store sharing the same parking lot (this was when they were still under the same ownership; when the Mervyn's closed it became a Kohl's store.) When the store got its first remodel they actually expanded the building by around 1,000 square feet. I believe this store still has two entrances, but is otherwise just a standard PFresh Target store now.