Mental Health Clinic opens in N. Texas Walmart

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Mental Health Clinic opens in N. Texas Walmart

Post by SamSpade »

National story from the Today show, which our local NBC affiliate "borrowed" to re-air.
Mental health clinic opens inside Texas Walmart

Seems to me like any other leased space at the front of the store and that more health products available at Walmart is not necessarily unusual or a negative thing.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Mental Health Clinic opens in N. Texas Walmart

Post by wnetmacman »

SamSpade wrote: November 29th, 2018, 12:17 pm National story from the Today show, which our local NBC affiliate "borrowed" to re-air.

Seems to me like any other leased space at the front of the store and that more health products available at Walmart is not necessarily unusual or a negative thing.
What better place for a mental health clinic to pop up than in a Walmart store.

There, I said it. :)
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

wnetmacman wrote: November 30th, 2018, 1:58 pm

You can lead a horse to water...

Anyways, It seems like an odd choice. I don't expect it to last long.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

wnetmacman wrote: November 30th, 2018, 1:58 pm
SamSpade wrote: November 29th, 2018, 12:17 pm National story from the Today show, which our local NBC affiliate "borrowed" to re-air.

Just proves you have to be crazy to shop at Walmart
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They should open an extension in the Wal Mart on Second Street in Reno. It is near the state mental health facility.

That Wal Mart is a real $h!t show. Lines routinely down the aisles. Multiple "greeters" at both entrances. Multiple temporary security camera poles throughout the parking lot. Filthy parking lot full of trash. One of the worst store experiences I've ever had, every time I go in there (a couple times a year). And you should see the line for the "customer service" desk.

The store does seem to keep its shelves reasonably well stocked, which is interesting considering the various factors.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: November 30th, 2018, 9:01 pm They should open an extension in the Wal Mart on Second Street in Reno. It is near the state mental health facility.

That Wal Mart is a real $h!t show. Lines routinely down the aisles. Multiple "greeters" at both entrances. Multiple temporary security camera poles throughout the parking lot. Filthy parking lot full of trash. One of the worst store experiences I've ever had, every time I go in there (a couple times a year). And you should see the line for the "customer service" desk.

The store does seem to keep its shelves reasonably well stocked, which is interesting considering the various factors.
The store on East Thomas Road in Phoenix sounds similar to the one you described. Interestingly, their employees are very nice and seem happy to work there despite the clientele. Maybe they get a "rough clientele" differential.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: November 30th, 2018, 9:01 pm They should open an extension in the Wal Mart on Second Street in Reno. It is near the state mental health facility.

Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave. That sounds terrible. I've only been in two WalMart stores in the last twenty years, both in Las Vegas. One was a super center and I was surprised that it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting. The other was a neighborhood market and it was terrible. But both were busy, though.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

klkla wrote: December 1st, 2018, 5:19 pm

Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave. That sounds terrible. I've only been in two WalMart stores in the last twenty years, both in Las Vegas. One was a super center and I was surprised that it wasn't as horrible as I was expecting. The other was a neighborhood market and it was terrible. But both were busy, though.
Walmart is very inconsistent. They do have good stores (in fact they have a large percentage of good stores). However, if they have a terrible store it's really terrible.

The Walmart closest to my house is an example of a terrible store (but if I go to the next 3 closest stores they're all quite decent).

A sign of a terrible Walmart is the following:

- Lot Cop Cameras in the parking lot
- Greeter checking receipts at the exit
- Online merchandise pickup located at the back of the store

Even so, most "bad" Walmarts are still better than Kmarts were in their final years and tend to have newer decor packages.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

In my opinion, over the past 10 years, Wal Mart has been doing a good job keeping its store decor packages "fresh." I may not really like their decor packages much, but at least the stores do not look forgotten or run down; they look maintained. That store I mentioned above in Reno on Second Street opened in 2010 and was recently remodeled inside (it previously had the yellow wall grocery decor).

Even stores that they have closed the past few years, had generally had decor upgrades in the 5 years prior to closing.

Wal Mart seems to have pretty major operational issues where their stores are in dense lower end neighborhoods. The rural stores are pretty consistent with those located in better income suburb type locations: generally clean and orderly. And in the case of the rural stores, quite friendly employees.

Kmart neglected its stores since forever from a capital perspective. Many stores opened in the 70's and closed in the 00's or 10's with the same ugly flooring and shelves they opened with. To make matters worse, Kmart failed to do things like maintain soiled ceiling tiles, replace broken/bent/rusted shelves, replace damaged or discolored floor tiles, replace falling apart front ends, I could go on and on. Target seems to have a similar group of a hundred or two hundred stores opened in the early and mid 90's that they are also neglecting from the perspective of no P-Fresh or other store decor remodels, but the stores at least seem to be maintained; nothing is falling apart neglected; just dated looking.
submariner

Post by submariner »

I'd like to steer the conversation back to the original topic, thanks!