Wal Mart 2019 Changes

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Wal Mart 2019 Changes

Post by storewanderer »

This looks like a good time to start a thread for Wal Mart changes in 2019. We can look at new store formats, store openings, store closures, etc.
storewanderer

Re: Wal Mart 2019 Changes

Post by storewanderer »

So Wal Mart abruptly ended 24 hour operations at 2 more Reno Stores (Kietzke Lane and also 7th Street) and switched them to 6 AM to Midnight yesterday. This is in addition to the store on 2nd Street in Reno that seems to have gone off and on on this 6 AM to Midnight schedule multiple times the past couple of years (that store is a really bad place with many theft problems, staffing issues, loitering problems; it is the worst Wal Mart I've ever seen).

I was also at the Kietzke Store tonight at about 7:55 PM and tried to enter the store through the non-food entry and it was locked up tight. Entry through grocery only.

I did not think this was a particularly bad store but between this and the many lot cop cameras set up in the parking lot and alongside the building... and that I think I had to bust through 3 homeless people loitering in the entry way when I entered the store....

Also real surprised about 7th Street. That is a very busy store in a solidly middle class part of town in a busy location with many houses and apartments nearby and historically it did some volume overnight. Now Safeway will be the only store up on that end of town that is open 24 hours.

The other Wal Marts around here are all still 24 hours (stores on the edges of Reno and the small town stores like Fernley and Fallon). All of those do noticeably less volume overnight. These conversions of 24 hour stores to a 6 AM to Midnight schedule does not appear to have anything to do with volume... it appears to have everything to do with theft, loitering, and safety.

It also appears Wal Mart has cut back hours throughout Northern California. The only 24 hour store in the bay area is in American Canyon. Many 10 PM and 11 PM closures in the bay area... The only 24 hour stores around Sacramento are Folsom and Dixon with most on this 6 AM to Midnight schedule there.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Some Walmarts in my area seem to be seasonal 24 hour stores. I think it has more to do with slowdowns during certain times of the year than anything.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It is mainly for shoplifting. After midnight is when there is so little staffing that grab and runs happen.

Walmart probably doesn't make enough sales to justify cashiers and security after midnight.

The Dixon, California store is near the University of California Davis. That is probably why it is open 24 hours. Thousands of college students do stay up late and shop at all hours. Dixon is a very low crime area. They probably have low theft.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Sometimes, the store hours don't make sense. For example, I live near Lafayette, LA. There are 5 stores nearby:

415 Broussard: 24 Hours
Broussard is the southern, more affluent suburb of Lafayette Parish. It is adjacent to US90 south. It's also one of the lowest volume stores, as of now.
531 Lafayette (Ambassador Caffrey): 24 hours
This is the store on the good side of Lafayette; the higher end, near the mall. It's also the most neglected, decor wise.
534 Lafayette (Evangeline Thruway): 6-midnight
Affectionately named Murder Mart for its propensity to crime, this is in the worst part of town, but stays open in a food desert.
2938 Lafayette (Pinhook Road): 6-midnight
Lowest volume Walmart in the area. Was alone south of the Vermilion River until 415 moved from St. Martinville 10 years ago.
7301 Carencro: 24 Hours
The newest store in town, and a northern suburb; 4 miles north of 534. It's approaching its second birthday and has attracted a pretty good following. I have seen (as it's my closest store) where they have selectively began locking up certain items.

So there is a pattern, but it's never consistent across a town
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 31st, 2018, 12:12 pm It is mainly for shoplifting. After midnight is when there is so little staffing that grab and runs happen.

Walmart probably doesn't make enough sales to justify cashiers and security after midnight.

The Dixon, California store is near the University of California Davis. That is probably why it is open 24 hours. Thousands of college students do stay up late and shop at all hours. Dixon is a very low crime area. They probably have low theft.
Many retailers including Walmart have stopped operating 24 hours a day because of possible shoplifting and minimal staffing. Minimal staffing exists overnight for stocking and recovery.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Going back to the original post I believe Walmart is going to continue to make moves to position itself as an omnichannel retailer.

They seem to be very heavily promoting their grocery pickup and grocery delivery options and this trend will probably continue.

They have opened a concept Sam's Club Now store in Dallas to test new technology for both Sam's Club and Walmart as a whole. They also are trying a pickup only grocery store in the Chicagoland area.

I'd expect them to close a handful of stores consistent with prior years (probably 20-30). If I recall correctly they only are planning on opening a net of 10 additional stores this year (and this could be 10 stores total and not a net of 10). They are investing heavily in renovating existing stores to their latest decor package with the integrated pickup towers.

Rumors seem to be flying that they may also close another 30-40 Sam's Club stores.