Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Is 2021 finally the end for Sears/Kmart?

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Additional closure added: Kearny, New Jersey. https://news.yahoo.com/sears-kmart-stor ... J5UlHRWxl9
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

At the rate they are closing stores, they might be able to drag this out to 2022! Maybe close 3-4 stores per quarter? :D
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: February 19th, 2021, 9:21 pm At the rate they are closing stores, they might be able to drag this out to 2022! Maybe close 3-4 stores per quarter? :D
Truly amazing the 20 year old POS system at Kmart has kept working (sort of). It does process chip cards surprisingly quickly.

Maybe they are still working through supplies and once they run out of supplies they will shut down.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:22 pm
HCal wrote: February 19th, 2021, 9:21 pm At the rate they are closing stores, they might be able to drag this out to 2022! Maybe close 3-4 stores per quarter? :D
Truly amazing the 20 year old POS system at Kmart has kept working (sort of). It does process chip cards surprisingly quickly.

Maybe they are still working through supplies and once they run out of supplies they will shut down.
There are still quite a few stores large and small running IBM hardware, and a lot of it can actually trace its origins to the IBM 4683 from the 1990s. Some stores will update certain components such as printers and displays only. I have seen random Toshiba components such as printers (which look like rebranded IBM units) appearing on existing registers in some instances.

In Kmart's case, they have closed so many stores that it shouldn't be an issue to keep the system going, assuming they kept at least some of the old hardware in storage. It doesn't make sense at this point to install a new system.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:06 am
There are still quite a few stores large and small running IBM hardware, and a lot of it can actually trace its origins to the IBM 4683 from the 1990s. Some stores will update certain components such as printers and displays only. I have seen random Toshiba components such as printers (which look like rebranded IBM units) appearing on existing registers in some instances.

In Kmart's case, they have closed so many stores that it shouldn't be an issue to keep the system going, assuming they kept at least some of the old hardware in storage. It doesn't make sense at this point to install a new system.
They seem to have no shortage of POS systems but they are short pinpads (since those are newer equipment). Not all registers have a pinpad. Kmart also still has some 20 year old Checkout Coupon machines (print on thermal paper with the white tape and red on the sides) which print coupons.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: February 20th, 2021, 10:00 am
Super S wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:06 am

They seem to have no shortage of POS systems but they are short pinpads (since those are newer equipment). Not all registers have a pinpad. Kmart also still has some 20 year old Checkout Coupon machines (print on thermal paper with the white tape and red on the sides) which print coupons.
At this point, they could just run the stores off Square!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:23 am
At this point, they could just run the stores off Square!
As long as Square can process that stupid Sears card- but they even quit asking about that this past year... that was when I knew it was truly over.
Groceteria
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by Groceteria »

storewanderer wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:22 pmMaybe they are still working through supplies and once they run out of supplies they will shut down.
I stopped in my local Sears yesterday and actually bought something for four bucks. They’re still using 125th anniversary bags from three years ago, so you may have something there…
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Groceteria wrote: February 21st, 2021, 11:14 am
storewanderer wrote: February 19th, 2021, 10:22 pmMaybe they are still working through supplies and once they run out of supplies they will shut down.
I stopped in my local Sears yesterday and actually bought something for four bucks. They’re still using 125th anniversary bags from three years ago, so you may have something there…
The since closed (wasn't closing at the time) Yuba City Sears was using those 125th Anniversary Bags in early 2020.

Also the South Lake Tahoe Kmart has a bag with a QR Code Advertising something called MyGofer.com. I recall that was some kind of program but don't really remember the details. Looking at the small print on the bag it says 03/26/12.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Since the Sears/Kmart thread for 2020 is now locked, I copied and pasted the following post:

Super S » September 10th, 2020, 8:13 am
Over the last couple days I have heard an ad on the local radio station that is more or less advertising that the local Sears Hometown franchise opportunity is available. In other words, it sounds like the local franchise is wanting to get out. I have had the impression that this location has not done all that well especially given the terrible parking area, and the fact that there are maybe 1 or 2 cars total at any given time. To be fair they have done other local radio advertising, but it's just not the best location, and anything that has the word "Sears" associated with it gives the impression that the company won't be around for much longer. Especially since most of the full-line stores are now gone in my area. The Sears name is too damaged at this point.

I noticed on Facebook this morning that the Sears Hometown store I referred to here, In Longview, WA, is holding a store closing sale. I am not surprised that nobody wanted the franchise.