A Target fit into a Marina Safeway

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
pseudo3d

A Target fit into a Marina Safeway

Post by pseudo3d »

Well, Target Express at least. Only 18,000 square feet, though the store hasn't been a Safeway in a long time. Still looks kind of cool.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... ark-opens/
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: A Target fit into a Marina Safeway

Post by submariner »

That's actually pretty cool.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It is interesting that this store appeared to have the same owners as the Apple Tree store in San Diego. Another very small former Safeway. There are a lot of pictures on Yelp of this Gala Foods and it appears to have a "painted on" italic wall interior looking much like early 80's Safeway with a floor that looks to be of 70's Safeway. Looking at the liquor license I see the Gala Foods people started operations in this store in 1990. I wonder if it ever operated as Vons, or?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:It is interesting that this store appeared to have the same owners as the Apple Tree store in San Diego. Another very small former Safeway. There are a lot of pictures on Yelp of this Gala Foods and it appears to have a "painted on" italic wall interior looking much like early 80's Safeway with a floor that looks to be of 70's Safeway. Looking at the liquor license I see the Gala Foods people started operations in this store in 1990. I wonder if it ever operated as Vons, or?
I doubt it, unless Vons operated it for only two years. It could've been divested as part of the merger, or closed even earlier.
submariner

Post by submariner »

I'm not sold on the concrete floor though. It doesn't fit Target (not that the entire store does), but I think a white tile floor would have been more appropriate.
Super S

Post by Super S »

submariner wrote:I'm not sold on the concrete floor though. It doesn't fit Target (not that the entire store does), but I think a white tile floor would have been more appropriate.
The concrete floor may convey a more "hip" image. But these floors really downgrade the appearance of many businesses.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I agree about the white tile floor... I'm a little surprised they went with cement. Has anyone else ever seen a cement floored Target before? Maybe this is the new standard?
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

This is the first Target Express with a concrete floor. The Target Express in San Francisco has fake gray wood flooring. It looks really cheap and fake.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/targetexpress-san-francisco

The Berkeley, California Target Express has a red floor. That one is actually quite nice looking.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/targetexpress-berkeley

Concrete flooring is found in some upscale grocery stores such as Whole Foods. Whole Foods can pull it off, but Whole Foods adds a little color to the floor such as tan or brown. The gray concrete floor that appears at the newest Target Express is the plain gray found at warehouse stores such as Costco. It does not scream upscale in this color.

White flooring with red borders is expected of Target. At least tiling makes it look professional, but concrete in gray coloring is cheap and low class looking.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Looking at one of the pictures, it (the San Diego store) appears to be brown tile of some sort, not concrete (polished or otherwise). The article mentioned that was the grocery store flooring, which may go back decades.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

http://www.yelp.com/biz/target-express-san-diego

It is clearly concrete with some areas covered with gray carpet. There are patches on the floor where new concrete was added.