BP to bring back the Amoco gas brand.

pseudo3d

Re: BP to bring back the Amoco gas brand.

Post by pseudo3d »

mbz321 wrote: October 11th, 2017, 10:10 am
Super S wrote: October 11th, 2017, 9:58 am I honestly did not realize that Amoco had disappeared entirely from the U.S. market. I have to wonder if they would bring the name back in areas of Ohio where BP replaced the Sohio brand years ago.

I don't quite get the concept of offering multiple gas brands of the same company, such as Chevron and Texaco in one market. Especially when the brands are marketed as premium products at the same price point.

A lot of people aren't as loyal to brands of gas these days though, especially as supermarket gas stations have become commonplace.
Amoco really hasn't been used in any form in about 10 years (besides maybe on less than a handful of stations to keep the Trademark in use). For a while, the fuels were branded as 'Amoco Fuels', but that was replaced when BP introduced their 'Invigorate' branding.

I bet this is more like a last ditch effort to prop up failing BP stations more than anything. Here in the Northeast, Amoco was a pretty strong brand. Now, all I see are BP's closing or switching to other brands. The oil spill didn't help thing any, but BP stations are so noncompetitive, it isn't even funny, not to mention they are starting to look pretty tired.

And yeah, I don't think people are really brand loyal anymore. In my region, most gasoline stations are supplied from a Sunoco refinery/terminal, regardless of brand, with some supposedly unique additives dumped in for the name brand stations. In my market, we even have Conoco/76 branded stations now that have taken over several BP's, although a few of these have also switched from 76 to Conoco in a relatively short time frame for some unknown reason.
I think BP made a big mistake when it changed its branding to what looks like some overpaid hacks playing around with Adobe Illustrator. Its competitors either have never changed their logo (Exxon) or made incremental changes (Chevron, Shell, Texaco) without compromising the integrity of a timeless design.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What is funny is the Arco imaging continues to look BP-like, even after Arco is no longer part of BP. This new Amoco imaging also looks quite a bit like the BP or Arco imaging, just different color scheme/logo dropped into the same general imaging package.

Generally speaking I like the new BP imaging, but the updated BP logo definitely could have been better.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: October 15th, 2017, 9:46 pm What is funny is the Arco imaging continues to look BP-like, even after Arco is no longer part of BP. This new Amoco imaging also looks quite a bit like the BP or Arco imaging, just different color scheme/logo dropped into the same general imaging package.

Generally speaking I like the new BP imaging, but the updated BP logo definitely could have been better.
I think one's opinion of both the BP brand and their logo depends on where one lives and how loyal one was to Amoco. Although I was not a loyal Amoco customer when I lived in Chicago (Mobil was more convenient) I liked the brand and the logo. Amoco had a huge presence in the Chicago area, owing to their corporate headquarters being located downtown and their research facilities being located in the western suburbs. At the time of the acquisition, BP stated the corporate presence would be maintained. It wasn't. That and the formerly ubiquitous Amoco stations were replaced with the comparatively "blah" BP design gave me a bad taste. Others shared that sentiment.

The updated Amoco logo looks great, as does the station design. Frankly, this has been a long time coming. In my opinion, the re-branding should never have occurred. Chalk another one up to corporate hubris gone bad.
TempoNick
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by TempoNick »

-Marathon was also a Standard Company (The Ohio Oil Co.)

-Arco was partially a Standard Company (The Atlantic part of Arco)

-Amoco was an east coast thing. Maybe it was big in Chicago, but most of the rest of the Midwest was more fond of "Standard" and Sohio.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

TempoNick wrote: July 18th, 2019, 9:32 pm -Marathon was also a Standard Company (The Ohio Oil Co.)

-Amoco was an east coast thing. Maybe it was big in Chicago, but most of the rest of the Midwest was more fond of "Standard" and Sohio.
Amoco was originally called "Standard" within the Standard Oil of Indiana territory. When they expanded, the stations outside of that territory were branded "Amoco." In the 1970's they branded the stations within their territory "Amoco" and ultimately changed their corporate name from Standard Oil Indiana to Amoco Corporation. Although people initially referred to them as "Standard" after the re-branding, by the 1990s most people referred to them as "Amoco."
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

rwsandiego wrote: July 18th, 2019, 10:27 pm
TempoNick wrote: July 18th, 2019, 9:32 pm -Marathon was also a Standard Company (The Ohio Oil Co.)

Amoco was originally called "Standard" within the Standard Oil of Indiana territory. When they expanded, the stations outside of that territory were branded "Amoco." In the 1970's they branded the stations within their territory "Amoco" and ultimately changed their corporate name from Standard Oil Indiana to Amoco Corporation. Although people initially referred to them as "Standard" after the re-branding, by the 1990s most people referred to them as "Amoco."
Amoco was originated actually around Baltimore by the Blaustein family. Pan American (Pan Am) gained control of 50% of Amoco in a deal in 1924, and Pan Am was sold to Standard of Indiana in 1925. Standard abandoned the Amoco name in 1961 for the American name. In the early 70's, Standard started co-branding all their stations with the Amoco name to reflect the new corporate name: Amoco. Full consolidation of the brands never fully happened, though Amoco was making progress before selling out to BP in 1999.