Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: 7-Eleven to buy Stripes

Post by pseudo3d » June 9th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Slurpees in Stripes already!

http://www.cspdailynews.com/category-ne ... s-slurpees

A few thoughts:
- The Sunoco AMarts are excluded?
- The "best of both worlds" and them keeping the Stripes spokesperson implies Stripes will be kept as a brand name for probably longer than we think.
- No talk of 7-Eleven expanding the Stripes brand, even temporarily?

pseudo3d
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by pseudo3d » August 3rd, 2018, 10:10 am

pseudo3d wrote:
January 8th, 2018, 8:34 pm
http://www.cspdailynews.com/mergers-acq ... 0-c-stores

The end is near. I'm surprised they aren't mentioning divestments in the overlapping markets, though only one market I can think of (Waco) really has actually has overlap. Circle K got away with keeping almost everything, so I suppose 7-Eleven will too (just as Stripes had when they bought Rattlers). My top 6 questions which will probably be answered one way or another by years end are...
1. Will 7-Eleven keep the Stripes name on stores?
2. Will 7-Eleven keep the larger Stripes stores at all?
3. A few years ago, Stripes acquired Sac-N-Pac out of San Marcos. A few years later, the stores were all either rebranded, closed, or sold off. The only exception is a Sac-N-Pac in Cedar Creek that still operates with their name and logo. I assume that is a franchised operation, will they keep that name or will they be forced to change?
4. A number of stores (mostly Rattlers) have co-branded food service operations (Wendy's, Burger King, KFC) connected to the store. Will 7-Eleven keep these stores or change them?
5. Several years ago, Susser acquired a number of "Quick Stuff" convenience stores from Jack in the Box that were co-branded with a Jack in the Box. What will 7-Eleven do with these?
6. Will 7-Eleven continue to expand in Susser's former market areas?
#5 seems to be answered--at some point relatively recently, Sunoco sold them off it appears. Also, when I was at a Stripes store a few days ago, beyond Slurpees, there was a sign talking about the 7-Eleven careers page, and how APlus, Tigermarket (of Nashville), and Stripes were now part of the 7-Eleven family.

Looking at Stripes' website, it looks like the last "grand opening" was a 7,000 square foot store in Corpus Christi in February 2017, that was supposed to be a "next generation" store. The sale was announced about six months later. This suggests that the big Stripes stores Sunoco was building in the two years or so prior was putting a drain on the company. Maybe not "losing money" but certainly a bad ROI.

I'll be on the road this weekend, and I'll see if the Sac-N-Pac stores are still going as usual, including the one actually still a Sac-N-Pac in Cedar Creek (to my knowledge).

pseudo3d
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by pseudo3d » August 10th, 2018, 4:36 pm

The absorption process seems to be taking faster than I might have thought, was at a Stripes (actually still branded as a Rattlers) and noticed several "7 Select" branded items like their Rice Krispies Treats knockoff, the packaged fried pies, and a few others. The ICEE machine was still there (not even replaced by a Slush Monkey--the Rattlers buyout and absorption was never really completed), and all branding seemed to be related more to Stripes. I don't think it had even the "corrugated metal" décor Rattlers had because it was one of the stores that Rattlers' owner, Kolkhurst Petroleum, owned before they started to have a cohesive brand, or at least before they started putting that in their stores, so maybe mid-2000s since it has a beer cave area.